BMW ICOM NEXT | BMW NBT EVO FSC Codes | BMW NBT & CIC FSC Codes | BMW Rheingold , ISTA/P, KSD, ETK remote installation | BMW STANDARD TOOLS remote installation | BMW ESYS remote installation
Go Back   BMW forum. Diagnostics, coding, programming, repair BMW vehicles. > BMWelcome > BMW coding and programming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2013, 05:12 AM

Car: E36 328i E39 540iT
Default 2000 540iT 6 SP Swap Coding Question

Hello all,
My name's Wendell, Im from Rosebud Texas and have two bimmers, an e36 328i and an e39 540iT.
At our closeby junkyard a few days ago I got a complete kit for swapping my wagon from auto to manual, got everything, transmission, pedals and hard lines..everything,(less computers, donor car was a non vanos 97 540 sedan, while mine is a single vanos 2000 wagon) for under 300$, so I'm going to do the swap.
I feel quite confident in my wrench turning skills as I've been doing it(wrench turning) since I was 12 with my dad in his mechanics shop(He went to mechanics school while still in Europe).
So I don't think the mechanical side will be a problem, I am somewhat confused as to what the electrical side of things will be.
Ive got an old laptop with serial port, a k line adapter with obd II and 20 pin round plug adapters, Ive got inpa,winkfp,ncsexpert, PA Soft, DIS and Progman.
I know how to use inpa and DIS, haven't really messed with the others yet.
My question is, what coding needs to be done to the car once the mechanical side has been completed? And how is this accomplished?I've searched for hours but have not come up with a good idea of what needs to be done.
So if anyone could either tell me how/what to do, or direct me in the proper direction, I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks much,
Wendell.
Here's my rides, in case anyone wants to see. [Only for registered users... ]

Old 11-13-2013, 03:50 AM

Bump.
Noone?
Old 11-20-2013, 05:00 PM

Car: 03 x5,06 530xit,87 325is race car

Great rides you have there,6 sp 540it would be sweet.I have 00 528it and 06 530xit and I am determined to convert one of them to M5.
I am not sure exactly what to do for the manual conversion,but for a start you may want to find a dump from a ECU from a manual car.The cluster probably could be recoded.
Old 01-18-2014, 03:48 PM

Car: E46M3Cic

Hey Wendell - just stumbled on this old thread. You will struggle w pre/post facelift parts, aka the non-DBW pedal setup is all wrong for your car. Maybe you figured that out already i dont know. If you havent started the project yet, I have a lengthy and detailed post on Bimmerforums in the E39 Touring section with extensive how-to on the swap including wiring and coding. If i can remember i'll repost over here too. Car is amazing w a manual in it (well ok i have a lot of other mods too but still...) HTH.

JC
Old 06-14-2014, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
Hey Wendell - just stumbled on this old thread. You will struggle w pre/post facelift parts, aka the non-DBW pedal setup is all wrong for your car. Maybe you figured that out already i dont know. If you havent started the project yet, I have a lengthy and detailed post on Bimmerforums in the E39 Touring section with extensive how-to on the swap including wiring and coding. If i can remember i'll repost over here too. Car is amazing w a manual in it (well ok i have a lot of other mods too but still...) HTH.

JC
I completed the swap, I had a non vanos brake pedal assy in my vanos chassis. Was a pain O make it work, but I did it. Made some sex bolts so I could tighten the pedals to the firewall. Did all the coding and wiring. All is functional. It's by far the funnest car I've ever driven. I have the manual in it, 3" single exhaust from the cats back into a MagnaFlow muffler and the m60 intake manifold. So far for maintenance I've redone the cooling system, intake gaskets, icv, rear cooling hoses, timing chain/guides, vanos seals, spark plugs, coils and maf sensor. Next order of business is going to be to change the rear subframe bushings.

Tags
540it, auto, e39, manual, swap