BMW ICOM NEXT | BMW NBT EVO FSC Codes | BMW NBT & CIC FSC Codes | BMW Rheingold , ISTA/P, KSD, ETK remote installation | BMW STANDARD TOOLS remote installation | BMW ESYS remote installation
Go Back   BMW forum. Diagnostics, coding, programming, repair BMW vehicles. > BMWelcome > BMW coding and programming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2013, 08:15 PM

Car: 2006 M6
Default 2006 BMW M6 Speedometer mileage location information?

Hello all -

I am a M6 owner from New York . During the recent hurricane, my M6 got flooded up to the dash, and my insurance company totaled it out and I bought it back for a very low amount. I bought a wrecked M6 from [Only for registered users... ] that had all the wiring and electronics I needed to replace the flooded modules in my car.

My car had 61k miles. My speedometer was still good. I changed all the wiring and modules over, and assumed if I reinstalled my original speedometer the mileage would stay.

Well I fired the car up today, and it displays the donor car mileage of 22,000 miles. Now if I take it through inspection the title will be branded Not Actual Mileage. Does anyone know which module actually contains the mileage data, so I can plug it back in and retain my original mileage?

I've did a few flooded cars in my past. This one wasn't that bad, water appears to not have had the dashboard but usually I replace everything to be safe. In my previous cars (corvettes, mustangs) I was always able to retain the speedometer cluster and plug it back in so the cars never had not actually mileage certification. The engine was drained and flushed before anyone attempted to start the vehicle, so it was problem free.

I did some research and contacted some closer members on other forums, and one member thought the mileage was stored in the MSS-65 DME? He provided this possible information:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Find a coder that can reset (match) the mileage of the actual car to the display using their DIS/GT system.

This is an example of what you would see in the KOMBI module for reference only. It's an E87 example but is the same in E6x cars. Again, reference only

Datum : 12.06.2012 20:46:05
JobStatus: OKAY
Variante : KOMB87.PRG
Version : 2.112
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ERGEBNIS : 1 Fehler im Fehlerspeicher!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0xE104 CAN LOW ERROR
Fehlerhäufigkeit: -1
Logistikzähler : 61
Absolute Zeit ???? s
Kilometerstand 7048 km
BORDNETZSPANNUNG 12.50 VOLT
OHNE BEDEUTUNG 0.00 1
kein passendes Fehlersymptom
Testbedingungen erfüllt
Fehler momentan vorhanden und bereits gespeichert
Fehler würde kein Aufleuchten einer Warnlampe verursachen
Fehlercode: E1 04 60 3D 03 71 7D 00
-----------------------------------------------------------------

So here is my overall question - does anyone here have enough experience to do this? I would be willing to pay for this service. Or does anyone know if swapping the MSS-65 DME would be a simple plug and play swap to get the correct mileage? Thanks to all the coders out there that can help.

Old 02-14-2013, 01:28 AM

Car: E46

the mileage is stored in the CAS and the Instrument cluster
i am not sure if the CAS from your flooded car will work with the ones you have in now.
so try the cluster first
Old 02-14-2013, 09:54 PM

Car: E60

change the eeprom in dash, put the one from the old dash into the new one. M35080 or D080WQ EEPROM