BMW ICOM NEXT | BMW NBT EVO FSC Codes | BMW NBT & CIC FSC Codes | BMW Rheingold , ISTA/P, KSD, ETK remote installation | BMW STANDARD TOOLS remote installation | BMW ESYS remote installation
Go Back   BMW forum. Diagnostics, coding, programming, repair BMW vehicles. > BMWelcome > BMW coding and programming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2014, 04:26 PM

Car: e46 330i, e60 545i
Default Ak300 help

Hi!

I'm after some advice.

I just ordered an AK300.

I only have 1 key for my E60 545i (2004). It was cheaper for me to buy Ak300 + a blank non-OEM key, than to pay the dealer, and also I am interested in this stuff (I just ordered ICOM A2 as well! Lots of toys to play with soon :D ).

Anyway, I know about the 10 slots, but I am just wondering, in the pictures I see for the AK300 user guides, they show different options & software. There is "CAS1/2/3 KeyMaker", which shows the 10 slots, and allows you to "make key". I think this is what I will use to replace the missing keys (I bought the car with just 1 key). Is this correct?

but I wonder, what about "Hitag2 Programmer". This is with the AK300 software as well. What is this for? The picture show "Transponder Key memory pg1, pg2, pgt3, read, write". Would this be to clone an existing key? If you clone an existing key and then use one of the keys, the other key goes out of sync (rolling code??).

I'm just trying to learn so I understand before the stuff comes.

Also why would I want to connect directly to the CAS module with the connector, instead of just using OBD2? It says the AK300 lets you do both - so why not just use OBD2? And on some pictures it shows in-circuit reading of the MCU with wires. Why would I do this? Is this what they mean with BDM?

Sorry for so many questions - but the guides, videos, and PDFs I see on the Internet are terrible!

Old 06-24-2014, 07:59 PM

Car: 740il

First find someone who will cut the key.. no one wanted to cut a key for my car. I have the AK90 and one of the connectors was broke unknown to me.. So when I was reading off the chip it gave me back a bunch of garbled mess hex. Then when I wrote a key then programmed the EWS it said "fuck you" and broke. So I had to buy a new EWS and program it. So to save money for 1 key it wasnt not worth the hastle. But good luck.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:21 PM

I was wondering, does the key need to be cut? My car is an E60. If you have an EWS that means your car is older generation right?

Is the mechanical slot in the key just for emergency doors/trunk, or is it also needed for the ignition barrel?

I would probably end up buying a key cutting jig also, lol. I bought a milling machine a few years ago just to cut one piece of metal for a project car. The milling machine is still in my grandparents cellar. In fact, the milling machine is probably not far off the right machine for the job.

Last edited by carl0s; 06-24-2014 at 09:04 PM.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:01 PM

[Only for registered users... ]

cheap as chips