BMW ICOM NEXT | BMW NBT EVO FSC Codes | BMW NBT & CIC FSC Codes | BMW Rheingold , ISTA/P, KSD, ETK remote installation | BMW STANDARD TOOLS remote installation | BMW ESYS remote installation
Go Back   BMW forum. Diagnostics, coding, programming, repair BMW vehicles. > BMWelcome > BMW coding and programming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2018, 01:42 PM

Car: E53/E70
Default BRICKED!!!! A Cautionary Tale.

Sorry about this being my first real post but I thought a word of caution might be welcomed.
We just got my wife a nice 2013 E70 but it only came with one fob. Found a local expert who claimed he could cut & program a new fob for the car at a fraction of the dealer cost. He came to our home Saturday morning and plugged in his his computer, fired up the fancy $1200 software package that works through a $800 dongle and started to read the CAS. All did not go as expected and he was only able to read part of the information therein. At this point everything was fine in the vehicle. (Nav on, P displayed in dash and on the shifter.) Then a "backdoor' attempt was made. CLICK! Everything went dark in the Nav, dash and shifter. The vehicle was bricked. No start, no lock/unlock, nothing. The only electrical response I could elicit was the "Follow Me Home" lights low beams. Nothing would revive the vehicle. After several hours and attempts the vehicle had to be flat-bedded to local dealer. They have subsequently informed me the CAS is "shorted out" and a new CAS module is on the way. At this point we are looking at close to $1K for repairs and towing.
So to quote Sgt Esterhouse of Hill Street Blues "Hey, lets be very careful out there."

Last edited by Zulu95; 04-17-2018 at 01:45 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Zulu95 For This Useful Post:
xbimma (04-18-2018)