BMW ICOM NEXT | BMW NBT EVO FSC Codes | BMW NBT & CIC FSC Codes | BMW Rheingold , ISTA/P, KSD, ETK remote installation | BMW STANDARD TOOLS remote installation | BMW ESYS remote installation
Go Back   BMW forum. Diagnostics, coding, programming, repair BMW vehicles. > BMWelcome > BMW coding and programming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2013, 09:26 AM

Car: 2007 E90 320i
Default Car software update with ISIS prevents using which programs?

On July 2, 2012, my car supposedly got a ‘software reload’ via ISIS at the dealer’s shop.

I’ve been told that this would make it no longer possible to use an earlier program like Progman V32. Does it make it no longer possible to use other programs* too?
* NCS EXPERT v3.1.0, Tool32 v3.2.7 or later, INPA 5.02, DIS V57 (on EasyDIS base).

Could this result in the following error message when using such older programs?
IFH-0009: NO RESPONSE FROM CONTROL UNIT

Old 03-12-2013, 04:15 PM

Car: Pontiac

I believe it's Ista from now on and also depends what software level your at.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:47 PM

When you refer to 'software level', are you referring to the software installed in the car or the diagnostic/programming system(ISTA)?

The dealer's 'advisor' claimed that regarding the software installed in the car, they don't really know the 'version', rather it is whatever the 'latest' version was at the time that the install took place via network connection to BMW's main server(perhaps that of BMW Korea, or HQ). He seemed a bit hessitant to go into detail, and I did not press further. He did mention ISIS, although I asked about ISTA.

If you are referring to the software version installed in the car, are you aware of how to check it? Perhaps it's not so simple, considering that multiple modules would be programmed and might be various naming schemes for each module(?).
Old 03-31-2013, 10:41 AM

Car: E34 525tds

You will still be able to read your car with INPA and code with NCSExpert, but you will get warnings in INPA, something along the lines of "Version Mismatch!".

WinKFP is another thing, I don't have much experience with that so I'm not entirely sure.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:59 AM

IFH-0009: NO RESPONSE FROM CONTROL UNIT

...as it turns out was due to the cheap $25 K+D CAN cable from Ebay which was faulty. It would not allow me to switch to D-CAN using the command line utility. It may work with older K-CAN but haven't been able to check. I demanded a refund and got it, but only after I registered a formal complaint with Ebay, due to the seller initially not responding up to 3 emails sent.

I got the $99 cable from One Stop Electronics with a recommendation from a moderator of another forum and this cable made connection with the car! The only program I could not get going was Progman V32, but that is apparently due to the dealer having updated my car's software last year using ISTA/P. Based on the error message I got when trying to read VO with Progman V32 below:
“The connected vehicle has an unknown data status (E89X-07-03-520, E89X-12-03-502), which cannot be handled with Progman!
Make sure you have loaded the latest version of the Progman CD or contact your Technical Support.”

The ‘E89X-12-03-502’ suggests S/W version 231E: ISTA/P – 2.46.(1-4).

In INPA, I did indeed get the 'version mismatch' error(one right after the other):
“Checking versions
Versions do not match. Malfunction possible! ”

“Checking language variants
Language variants do not match. Malfunction possible! ”

But some reliable sources have reassured me that this can be ignored, and that, " it only means that you have set INPA up to run in one language (e.g. English) and the program could not find a corresponding .ipo file in the same language, so it will use the .ipo from another language (e.g. German). The fault codes will remain valid, but the script will display in the .ipo file language (i.e. German)."

In NCS I am encountering the following when trying to read VO initially:

“ Following feature is invalid for FA: $8AF ”

*Note: According to the SA codes list I have, “$8AF” refers to ‘OWNER‘S HANDBOOK/SERVICE BOOKLET, KOREAN’ which is perfectly reasonable in my car’s case since it’s for the Korean market. So, I’m wondering why NCS is mentioning that it is “invalid for FA”.
If I click ‘Enter FA’, the pop-up edit window seems to show my car’s VO (although I’m not sure if it is accessed from a file in my computer or if it is actually from one of the car’s modules).

More importantly, the space to the right of ‘FA’ is left blank. My understanding is that the VO’s string of numbers(codes) should show up to the right of ‘FA’, so why is it blank?
The reason this is important to figure out is because without the recognition of the VO, NCS is not allowing to proceed with reading ECUs(the buttons are greyed out) so I can’t proceed with coding.

After some searching and seeking advice, it seems that I need to install later version daten, and the best way is to I go for another installation of EDIABAS for 2 EDIABAS folders in my system. This is to keep DIS V57 usable with EDIABAS V6.4.7 and to use EDIBAS 7.2.0 with INPA and NCS to access later daten etc. files which I'm hoping will resolve some access issues. Of course I'll have to name the folder in use as "EDIABAS" and the one not in use as say 'EDIABAS(alternate)' for example and vice versa.

My car is a May 2007 E90 320i, so I'm finding that EDIABAS 6.4.7 with files from around 2004 are limited. Yet DIS V57 is compatible with up to v.6.4.7 of EDIABAS, and I'd like to continue using it since it was such an effort to install and get running.

Last edited by tinkerman; 03-31-2013 at 11:07 AM.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:38 AM

Updating to BMW Standard Tools 2.12 and SP-Daten V49, has resolved the VO read issue in NCS. And as killme613 mentioned, in INPA I AM getting the 'Version Mismatch' error which I'm trying to get resolved. I have been told by some that it can be ignored if it is a matter of German metric files and English metric files causing just a language issue, but that say clash of English metric and English emperial files would produce off values. I don't think the latter case has been a concern in my case thank goodness, but now I'm working on some other errors:

SYS-0008: JOB NOT FOUND [EDIABAS_SYS_0008]
and
API-0014: RESULT NOT FOUND [EDIABAS_API_0014]

I already have lieterature(EDIABAS ERROR REF. and INPA FAQ) describing what these errors are(to a minimal extent), but because the desciptions are alien none the less, I'd still appreciate any comments towards resolving these issues.