BMW ICOM NEXT | BMW NBT EVO FSC Codes | BMW NBT & CIC FSC Codes | BMW Rheingold , ISTA/P, KSD, ETK remote installation | BMW STANDARD TOOLS remote installation | BMW ESYS remote installation
Go Back   BMW forum. Diagnostics, coding, programming, repair BMW vehicles. > BMWelcome > BMW coding and programming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2014, 08:07 PM

Car: Peugeot 505 SWX
Question Change VIN in E39 M5 DME

We are a workshop that maintains historic race cars and this M5 belongs to the owner of a body shop that does work for us. We obtained a used DME module because the original has a bad amp for one of the O2 inputs. We can't align the EWS and DME because the scan tool says the VIN's don't match. We got a cable and INPA with WINkfp and NCS Expert but can't see how to just change the VIN in the new (used) ECU. The two ECUs have matching numbers. We don't want to reprogram, just change the VIN if that's possible. We have searched the forums and found some instructions on recoding, but nothing on just changing the VIN, although it looks like some have done it. Can someone please give some basic instructions for doing so or just post a link if they already exist? Thanks so much for your help, Tim, Hudson Historics

Old 11-04-2014, 07:35 PM

Car: 525iAT

I think that you can't do that with NCS Expert, even reprogramming with WinFKP will not write Chassis VIN to DME. I even think that DME is not contain VIN at all, only EWS, IKE, KMB. But it is not a problem, only you need with DME is aligment with EWS.
With NCS expert you can change VIN to selected modules (EWS, IKE, KMB) selecting (F1=Enter ZSC) ant then apply FA/SA_WRITE to selected module.
You should open NCS expert and read ZCS from those modules and check if they all are correct first.
"VIN" may also refer as DME production code, can you read DME with INPA?a

Last edited by walopower; 11-05-2014 at 04:14 AM.
Old 11-04-2014, 10:44 PM

Thanks walopower. Yes, I can read the values with INPA and the VIN in the new module doesn't match the car or the vin in ews. If I put in the original module that has a matching vin I can align the ews and it will start. So I need to change the vin in the new module to be able to use it.
Old 11-05-2014, 04:38 AM

Car: 525iAT

[Only for registered users... ]
Maybe you should adopt variant code from old unit. Actually this is for older car.
I think that VIN is not refer body VIN, it is DME software number and that number is not compatible with INPA database.
Or EWS is disabled to DME software, or software is faulty.
I assume that you have tuned DME?
And that's why you dont't want to reprogram it?
Keep mind, if DME is taken from some other car and it is car tailored tuning, the tuning can go wrong in new car.
If you are worry about catalytics, you can reprogram S199A=Yes version:

Last edited by walopower; 11-05-2014 at 06:26 AM.
Old 11-05-2014, 02:56 PM

Thanks for the links walopower. I read through them all. The VIN in the DME I'm reffering to is identified as the chassis number by my Autel DS708 and matches the VIN number on the door post in the original DME, but obviously not in the replacement from a junk yard. The same chassis number is in the EWS. They must match or starting will be blocked. All other numbers (basic part#, programmed #, software #, etc.) match looking at the electronic info from each DME. These are Siemens units and may not be able to change chassis numbers. Does anybody know for sure? Thanks, Tim
Old 11-14-2014, 04:52 PM

Thanks for the thoughts, we ultimately sent the DME, EWS, and a key to RPM motorsports and had it reprogrammed with the correct VIN and everything is good. Tim

Tags
change dme vin, e39 m5