BMW ICOM NEXT | BMW NBT EVO FSC Codes | BMW NBT & CIC FSC Codes | BMW Rheingold , ISTA/P, KSD, ETK remote installation | BMW STANDARD TOOLS remote installation | BMW ESYS remote installation
Go Back   BMW forum. Diagnostics, coding, programming, repair BMW vehicles. > BMWelcome > BMW coding and programming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2013, 07:28 PM

Car: 116i
Default Changing my frm1 to a frm 3 basis BMW E87

Hey!

I am trying to change my FRM1 module to a FRM3 module but i can't get it to work :(

I got a pre-facelift 2006 BMW E87 116i without xenon which originally has the FRM1 NSW module.
I wanted the welcome lights, so i bought a FRM3 basis module that was removed in fully working condition from a 2010 BMW E87.

I installed the module, coded the module to the car using winkfp and wrote the vin to the module usin tool32, then i programmed the module using NCSexpert.
All went well, except that both my left and right brakelight are not working, just the one in the rear window :(
I also got the warning on my dash saying that left and right brakelights are defective and not working:
FRM CC-ID 345 Brake/Tail Light Failure Right
FRM CC-ID 346 Brake/Tail Light Failure Left

I tried updating it, reinstalling it, checked for short circuits but all the counters was 0, tried changing several options in the FRM3 module, but still no brakelights :(

Earlier this winter i installed facelift taillights on my pre-facelift car, so i have already rearranged the wiring to the taillights so the facelift taillights worked. They worked like a charm and no problem at all with the FRM1 module, but no brakelight with the FRM3 module. I also tried changing the wiring back to it's original state and tried my old original preface tail lights, but no brake lights on them either.. :(

What can this be???
Need help!

I really want my FRM3 BASIS module to work, so how can i get my brake lights to work and getting rid of the brake lights warning?
I'm using FRM3 e87 basis with the following number: 6135 9249080

Old 10-29-2013, 04:08 PM

anyone??

i've tried everything but the brake lights wont work :(
Old 12-30-2013, 04:08 PM

Default From FRM1 to FRM3 BMW E87

For alle those people that have a pre-facelift E87 with FRM1 that wants to change to the FRM2 or FRM3 unit, they have to change some pins in the FRM light connectors to make all lights work after upgrade! :)

All lights will work except the right and left brake lights because the pin assignments in the connectors are different for the brake lights between FRM1 and FRM2/3!

For cars without xenon you have to change: (Also for cars with xenon)
1. Grey/Yellow wire from Pin 41 in the X14261 connector to Pin 18 in the X14260 connector which is the brake signal wire for the right brakelight.
2. Grey/Violet wire from Pin 14 in the X14260 connector to Pin 16 in the X14260 connector which is the brake signal wire for the left brakelight.

Cars with FRM1 uses a combined Brake/Parklight so after changing these pins, the brake light will be dimmed when not braking and will light up when braking just like it should. If you like me, have changed to the facelift LED taillights, you have to code the FRM2 / FRM 3 unit to disable the rear parklights, cause the LED stripes are already the park lights, so if you dont code the unit, you will have both the LEDs and the dimmed brake light lit as park lights :)

For cars with xenon and HIGH LED taillights you have to change:
1. Grey/Yellow wire from Pin 41 in the X14261 to Pin 9 in the X14261 connector which is the brake signal wire for the right brakelight.
2. Grey/Violet wire from Pin 14 in the X14260 to Pin 43 in the X14261 connector which is the brake signal wire for the left brakelight.

Optional for proper HIGH LED taillight retrofit to power the LED lights (only works for cars with xenon FRM unit):
3. A wire from Pin 16 in the X14260 connector to Pin 4 in the left taillight connector.
4. A Wire from pin 18 in the 14260 connector to Pin 4 in the right taillight connector.

Congratz! You now have a have pre-facelift 1 series E87 working perfectly with FRM2 or FRM3 unit with or without xenon!
Best regards Bjørne Øen
The Following User Says Thank You to bjorneoen For This Useful Post:
phbrun (02-14-2016)
Old 02-14-2016, 01:06 PM

Car: BMW 130i E87

Little add-on:

I switched from FRM1 to FRM3.

I already had the LCI tail lights installed eaerlier, wiring changed and probely coded to the FRM1. Here some background data (before change):

Car: BMW 130i E87, 11/2005
Head light: BMW Xenon pre-LCI
Tail light: BMW LCI w/ LED (wiring changed and +MUEB added to FA)
FRM1: FRMFA, E8X XE
FRM3: FRM3R, E87 E92 E93 XE

After switch to FRM3 and coding to the car I changed the wiring as explained by bjorneoen since the left & right brake light were not work. After change of wiring the brake light did work (thank you bjorneoen!).

But here it comes: the angel eyes did not . I was not prepaired for that . After a little research in the internet I found the solution: an other change of wiring is required to make the angel eyes work.
Here an overview of all wiring changes I did in order make both left & right brake light and left & right angel eye work:

X14261:
GR/GE from pin 41 to 9 (brake light left)
SW/GN from pin 50 to 41 (angel eye left)
GR/VI from pin 14 (X14260) to 43 (brake light right)

X14260:
GR/VI from pin 14 to 43 (X14261) (brake light right)
SW/BL from pin 8 to 14 (angel eye right)

Legend:
GR Grey
GE Yellow
SW Black
GN Green
VI Violet
BL Blue

I hope this helps you to successfully complete the switch from FRM1 to FRM3.

Last edited by phbrun; 02-15-2016 at 05:10 PM.