Go Back   BMW forum. Diagnostics, coding, programming, repair BMW vehicles. > BMWelcome > BMW coding and programming

Old 07-26-2013, 02:34 AM

Car: E46
Default Coding data do not correspond to equipment

Hello to all, I would like to ask for some help regarding this issue. First, some info about this vehicle. It is a 316i E90 Sedan, N45 engine, Euro, manual tranny, and production date 04/2006. This vehicle's battery "died" and would not crank/start while in the house of the owner and it stayed like this for about three days. It was then jump-started by way of the positive jump-start terminal and ground in the engine compartment so as to drive it to the repair shop. The red airbag symbol in the cluster came on and upon diagnosis using ISTA/D (ISID), the error that was reported is 1) 9520 DSC: Steering column switching center, multifunction and 2) 93AE MRS: Active head restraint, left (short to ground), and Coding data do not correspond to equipment.

This particular vehicle has no Active head restraint system and also has no multifunction buttons (like volume up, volume down, telephone) on the steering wheel. The time stamp on the errors are 16216 Km, and the vehicle is currently at 16221 Km, indicating that this error came out when it was still in the owner's home as the distance from his home to our repair shop is roughly about 5 km. I do not know why the MRS5 (MRSZ5 marking on control module) is looking for the ignition capsule for the active head restraint when this vehicle doesn't have this system installed.

I tried to code the MRS system using ISTA/P by way of the measures plan and it was successful but the error still remains. Can somebody help me out with this? Do I need another programming tool like BMW Standard Tools to recode this system?

Old 07-26-2013, 08:56 AM

obd5054, thank you for your offer but I am not looking to purchase these items as I already have the GT1 with Progman and also the ISID (ISTA/D and ISTA/P) with ICOM A, B and C. What I need to know is if this problem can be solved by direct coding or programming of the module using other BMW programming tools like NCS. If indeed this will be the case, then I will purchase the K+DCan interface and seek help in doing this.
Old 01-17-2014, 05:13 PM

Car: e30

If it can help other people ...

I got this issue on a customer car ... and I had to replace the MRS module.

I'm a BMW master tech, working in a dealer.

I did try to reinstall a new and correct V/O,
code the car, program to the lastest version .... always the same issue ...

Once I replace the MRS, program and code the new unit ... no more fault were present !
Old 01-18-2014, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion80 View Post
If it can help other people ...

I got this issue on a customer car ... and I had to replace the MRS module.

I'm a BMW master tech, working in a dealer.

I did try to reinstall a new and correct V/O,
code the car, program to the lastest version .... always the same issue ...

Once I replace the MRS, program and code the new unit ... no more fault were present !
I see. Thanks for your input, I will recommend this solution to the vehicle owner.