BMW ICOM NEXT | BMW NBT EVO FSC Codes | BMW NBT & CIC FSC Codes | BMW Rheingold , ISTA/P, KSD, ETK remote installation | BMW STANDARD TOOLS remote installation | BMW ESYS remote installation
Go Back   BMW forum. Diagnostics, coding, programming, repair BMW vehicles. > BMWelcome > BMW coding and programming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2016, 12:06 AM

Car: 2009 E93
Default Coding options using iPhone or iPad

Hello,
Newbie to coding here!
I've done some research about "how to code" my 2009 E93, and everything seems to points towards Carly (formerly know as BMWhat).
[Only for registered users... ]

Is that really the only app that can perform coding from an iOS device?

I downloaded and tested their free "Lite" version with my ELM 327/OBD2 Wifi dongle, and while it seems to work and shows "coding possibilities" for my car, it's not particularly user-friendly, throws some German text every now and then, and since their full-feature app costs $45, I was wondering if anybody knew other options out there, before I bite the bullet and purchase it.

Since my dongle is Wifi, I'm also open to Mac-based solutions (not just iOS), if there are any.

Thanks for any advice / input you may have!

Old 01-11-2016, 06:15 AM

Car: 09 135i

I believe you can run a virtual windows machine from your mac. That may be your only option. Has anyone tried this personally?

Or, you can find a used Windohs laptop and dedicate it to your car. As you get further into the BMW world you will need it. ;-)

Also, look at joining your local BMW CCA chapter. I would bet there are some coders in the Golden Gate chapter. Me thinks there are 4k+ members in that chapter. I'm sure one of them owns Macs and codes!

I am up here in the Sierra Chapter (Reno). We are a much smaller group...
Old 01-13-2016, 07:35 AM

Car: 2009 E93

On the Mac side, I am actually looking for "native" solutions, specifically to avoid having to run a Windows virtual machine. I've seen many posts across the interweb discussing solutions involving Bootcamp or Parallels or VMWare, but I'm wondering why in heaven isn't there a single native solution for Mac... If there are Windows apps, it shouldn't be that complicated to develop a Mac version - there's not much UI involved, it's mostly communication/networking...

I'm also surprised that I was only able to find ONE iOS app for coding (Carly, mentioned in my first post). If anyone knows of others, I'm all ears!

Cheers!
Old 01-13-2016, 10:02 AM

Car: 2014 535d GT xDrive [F07]

Hi there, there has been a try to have native Mac OS version of E-SYS ... unfortunately it has not been doable since there was no OSX substitute for the CAN library that BMW uses (dated May 2015). :(

See the complete thread here [Only for registered users... ].

Hopefully one day we will get it. ;)