BMW ICOM NEXT | BMW NBT EVO FSC Codes | BMW NBT & CIC FSC Codes | BMW Rheingold , ISTA/P, KSD, ETK remote installation | BMW STANDARD TOOLS remote installation | BMW ESYS remote installation
Go Back   BMW forum. Diagnostics, coding, programming, repair BMW vehicles. > BMWelcome > BMW coding and programming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2018, 02:27 PM

Car: 2008 E90
Default DIY Beginner - ICOM/Kess/Coding

Hello everyone. Iím trying to become more self sufficient with my UK Spec, 2008, 320i E90 and also be able to help others out in my neck of the woods if I can. Mechanically Iím coming along reasonably well and can do the basic, obvious, or well documented repairs or service on my car. I have an ICOM A+B+C and have been able to use ISTA+ to do my diagnosis for some time now. Where Iím looking for direction/help/assistance is with beginning to understand BMW coding and tuning. I have gotten my hands on a Kess V2 (Red) to add to my hardware/software toolbox.

My first entry into DIY is a practical one. I had a major N43B20 issue where I spun a bearing and rebuilt the engine as the block was fine and the head was not warped. The crankshaft and all the bearings were replaced and all was well again. The root cause was discovered to be an oil breakdown issue because of heat which was traced back to the catalytic converter of all things that was clogged. To minimize or remove the chances of a repeat in the short term we removed the cat and surely the heat that was being contained in the engine bay is no more. I can run soft; I can run hard; I can run and actually stand next to the car without melting shoes or clothing lol. So no catÖ great (or not but we can debate the merits of a cat in another thread)! BUT the engine light! The infernal oxygen sensor fault. Both oxygen sensors that are after the cat are new sensors so I know that its not the sensors. Iíve put spacers on them. Engine light. Iíve put a spacer on the spacer to move the oxygen sensor further out of the main exhaust stream. Engine light. So Iím thinking that I should be able to delete/kill the sensors with some coding/programming/tuning.
  • Whatís the difference in coding, programming, and tuning? I donít want to use the terms interchangeably if theyíre not the same.
  • Where do I start?
  • What can I do? How can I get into my first Ďprojectí - removing the engine light after having de-catted the car?

Thanks in advance to the hive.

Old 06-27-2018, 08:37 PM

Car: E60 M5

Did you re set the adaptations for the oxy sensors?

Also the wiring can be troublesome, might be a hardware problem not software problem.
Old 08-28-2018, 06:59 PM

Car: bmw

Hello I want sites that explain the ECU chips and their working and how to read the data sheet for each ecu can any one help me

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

Tags
catalytic converter, coding, engine light, icom, kess