BMW ICOM NEXT | BMW NBT EVO FSC Codes | BMW NBT & CIC FSC Codes | BMW Rheingold , ISTA/P, KSD, ETK remote installation | BMW STANDARD TOOLS remote installation | BMW ESYS remote installation
Go Back   BMW forum. Diagnostics, coding, programming, repair BMW vehicles. > BMWelcome > BMW coding and programming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2019, 06:12 PM

Car: E21 320is, E39 540i/6 M, F10 M5
Default E39 540i with M5 cluster, speedometer stopped working after ZCS Expert session

I've been all over coding threads and topics related to this but haven't had any luck finding what I need to get this fixed.

The current issue is that the analog speedometer needle does not move even though other sensors recognize the cars movement.

The cluster is a black-faced 2000 M5 "HIGH" IKE, coded to my 2003 540i. It functioned perfectly prior to all this, oil temp lights and all.

It all started when I went through the labor of retrofitting factory nav and ULF, and was getting setup to go in with ZCS Expert and code the options for the modules to the car, when I somehow managed to process the whole car. I had not changed any ZCS codes or changed any options, just read the ECU for the SA and went on to doing the process car step that seems to have caused this problem now with the speedometer. I also noticed it changed my EWS from the manual setting I had back to automatic ... this is a safety measure to make the clutch pedal have to be pushed in to start the car.

I checked the IKE service menu to test the indicators, and the speedometer needle moves fine, I also drove the car with the service menu on the digital speed option to see if read a speed, also works fine. I hooked INPA up and sent some test calibrations, and the speed seems a little off from what i set it to... for example if i say 100 km ph , it shows slightly off.

I've loaded the trace file from NCS Expert to check it in NCS dummy and check the settings, but going by what Ive read in other threads about it, I have all the correct settings already checked.

The ECU is KMBI_E38.C12

While retrofitting the nav, there is a speed sensor wire that needed to be connected to a wire on the IKE. I connected it just before doing the bad session with NCS. Thinking that this is what was causing the issue I disconnected it since it was an unpopulated pin on the connector, but still no measurement of speed from the needle. I reconnected the pin and checked the nav service menu, and it reads a speed correctly.

My gut says its something in the coding got flipped when i processed the car since this M5 IKE isn't original to the 540i.. maybe reading from the wrong place now?

Old 08-18-2019, 09:34 AM

Car: 650Ci

Have you had any other mods done like the lights? Often people change the manufacture date to get them to code but forget to put them back.

More than likely you got an error in the coding somewhere - did you process car from CAS or the backup module? Were either of these changed before?