BMW ICOM NEXT | BMW NBT EVO FSC Codes | BMW NBT & CIC FSC Codes | BMW Rheingold , ISTA/P, KSD, ETK remote installation | BMW STANDARD TOOLS remote installation | BMW ESYS remote installation
Go Back   BMW forum. Diagnostics, coding, programming, repair BMW vehicles. > BMWelcome > BMW coding and programming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2018, 08:49 PM

Car: 2009 E61 535xi
Default E61 535xi not running after MHD Tune Removal -- ISTA set up... where from here?

I've got a 2009 535xi. It was running flawlessly last week. I put the MHD flash on it and it immediately misfired, which was no big surprise, since the plugs and coils are old. I ordered a set of Bosch plugs and coils.

Not wanting to keep clearing misfire codes, I flashed it back to stock and the car hasn't moved since. Something went wrong, and I'm not looking to place blame anywhere, I just want to fix the problem and get the car back running.

After I flashed it back to stock, I tried to start it and got a christmas tree of lights and codes, along with the idle bounce from 1200-1500 rpm and no throttle response. Seemed like a common issue, but nothing has gotten me past that point.

I have emailed MHD and they seem responsive, but don't have a lot of direction. They said to do a clear code / ignition on / ignition off for 30 sec. reset for the throttle adaptation, but that did nothing. MHD suggested doing it a few times to see if it clears. At this point, I've done it over 10 times, fully letting the car go to sleep, and nothing has changed... other than now it's not starting at all, just cranking.

I replaced the battery yesterday with a brand new AGM and registered it via Carly. No change.

At this point, I don't know what to do... I'm going to get a ISTA setup ready today, but I don't have a lot of direction from there.

I used the revert to stock option in the MHD program using a 20 minute write (shorter than the full 38 minute original,) but before that, I tried the 2-minute change to the stock v7 map, the 93 v7 map, etc... no change in behavior regardless of the map loaded. MHD app never showed anything buy normal and complete operations.

I've attached a picture of example codes. Note that the only code existing prior to loading the MHD software was 2E7C, pointing at the oil level sensor. I advised MHD of this and they said not to worry about that, it's happened on their flashes, too.

Also note that the car was performing flawlessly prior to the software change, so a sudden hardware failure would be extremely coincidental.

I have had a 10A charger connected during all mapping activities.

Pictures show the current approximation of the codes, also the screen of ISTA as it was scanning the modules. What do I do from here?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180502_092647.jpg (368.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180703_153045.jpg (666.6 KB, 7 views)

Old 07-10-2018, 12:00 PM

Car: 2009 E61 535xi

Found one of the problems, it ended up that F02 in the plenum box with the DME was blown. That got the car running again.

There's still a problem that points to the programming of the DME, though. I'm getting 2E7C and have no oil level readout. All grounds are solid, connectors for the alternator and water pump have been disconnected, cleaned and reconnected. From what I can find, the solution to this is DME replacement.

Man, MHD takes zero responsibility for everything, saying that they have 10000 DMEs coded and no problems... but it's easy to say that when you don't accept that your stuff caused a problem! I had ZERO problems with the car when I started. After flashing MHD software, which programs the DME, I went to a no-start car because of a DME fuse blown during programming, then a persistent fault that again points at the DME.

MHD said that they've had the 2E7C code before and to ignore it, it'll go away. Well, it's been a couple hundred miles and it's still there. Disappointing.