BMW ICOM NEXT | BMW NBT EVO FSC Codes | BMW NBT & CIC FSC Codes | BMW Rheingold , ISTA/P, KSD, ETK remote installation | BMW STANDARD TOOLS remote installation | BMW ESYS remote installation
Go Back   BMW forum. Diagnostics, coding, programming, repair BMW vehicles. > BMWelcome > BMW coding and programming

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By NSean

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2017, 01:43 PM

Car: E90, E36
Unhappy IFH NOT FOUND when starting INPA - ADS Interface - Need INPA 3?

Hi,

I am trying to see if my INPA is set up correctly before buying an ADS interface. I have no trouble coding my OBD2 E90 with the same installation.

I am running Windows 7 64bit.
I have INPA version 5.0.6. I set the Interface to "ADS" instead of "STD:OBD" in EDIABAS/Bin/Ediabas.ini.

I noticed there are no other mentions of "ADS" in that file where it mentions interfaces further down.
I also noticed that there was no ADS folder or ADSSetup.exe in EDIABAS/Hardware so I copied the ADS folder into there from my INPA installation CD.

I ran ADSSetup.exe and it appeared to throw an error that it couldn't copy DirectNT.sys to system32/drivers so I copied it there manually and also copied it to syswow64/drivers as it's a 64bit machine.

Restarted the laptop, ran INPA and it throws the IFH NOT FOUND error message. Now I don't have any cables plugged in at the moment but I did try it with the OBD2 cable plugged in just so it had a COM1 port but I got the same error.

The INPA FAQ for the error says "The setting for the interface in the configuration file Ediabas.ini doesn’t exist.".

Do I need to install INPA 3 first or something?
If so, can someone send me the link to it? All I can find is INPA 5/6 and BMW standard tools.

Many thanks

Old 03-23-2017, 04:39 PM

Car: E90, E36

Hi,

I think I have it working now. The IFH NOT FOUND/DirectNT.sys errors have gone away anyway!

What I did was install XP on a second partition so I have Windows 7 64bit on one for all my INPA 5.0.6 OBD2 coding and Windows XP 32bit on the other for INPA 4.4.7 ADS coding.

Haven't bothered to updated INPA on XP as the 4.4.7 version works for my purposes (E36 coding).

I did originally get the same issue again where INPA complains about DirectNT.sys after setting the interface to ADS. What I did to fix it was run OBDSetup.exe, then copy the DirectNT.sys from Hardware/ADS/ADS32/DirectNT.sys to Windows/system32/drivers/DirectNT.sys (overwrite existing), then double check the interface was set to ADS still in EDIABAS.ini and it all seemed to be working like a charm.

Hope this helps someone.
veryval likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to NSean For This Useful Post:
veryval (04-07-2017)