BMW ICOM NEXT | BMW NBT EVO FSC Codes | BMW NBT & CIC FSC Codes | BMW Rheingold , ISTA/P, KSD, ETK remote installation | BMW STANDARD TOOLS remote installation | BMW ESYS remote installation
Go Back   BMW forum. Diagnostics, coding, programming, repair BMW vehicles. > BMWelcome > BMW coding and programming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2014, 10:11 PM

Car: 2008 M6 Coupe
Default Newbie struggling to get NCS Expert working

Hi all,

First real post... please be patient with me!

Got my first BMW last month, a used 2008 M6 (E6). My short-term plans for this beast are to do a little coding (remove iDrive acknowledgement, fold mirrors when locking, etc.) and then to flash the Euro SMG for smoother shifts and more RPMs for Launch Control.

I've been poking around on different sites for about two weeks now trying to understand what I need and trying to obtain the necessary software. It's been quite an education, to say the least. I've downloaded many different BMW Tools, separate components and install/help guides. I've even managed, I think, to understand the differences in the builds and to reconcile version-dependent instructions. Not to mention learning all about SP-Daten updates and figuring out that folks supply non-work NCSExpert v2 profiles with with NCSExpert 4.0.1 (for some reason). I've made a ton of progress and now feel somewhat comfortable with it all.

That said, I can't get actual communications to work! Hoping someone can give me some sage advice.

I started by buying this cable: [Only for registered users... ]

I think that's the right cable for my car, but to be honest I'm not 100% sure. My car left the factory in late 2008, which I understand is about the same time as a "protocol change" occured. The cable's description says "For BMW INPA/Ediabas K+D-CAN /DCAN USB Interface OBD2 EOBD Diagnostic Tool Cable", and the cable (allegedly) included drivers. The DVD was actually empty, but that didn't seem to be a problem as Windows Update located and installed the correct FTDI drivers.

I checked my "serial service" registry settings, and found this:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\servic es\Serial]
"Start"=dword:00000001
"Type"=dword:00000001
"ErrorControl"=dword:00000000
"ImagePath"=hex(2):5c,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,6 5,00,6d,00,52,00,6f,00,6f,00,\
74,00,5c,00,73,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33 ,00,32,00,5c,00,64,00,72,\
00,69,00,76,00,65,00,72,00,73,00,5c,00,73,00,65,00 ,72,00,69,00,61,00,6c,00,\
2e,00,73,00,79,00,73,00,00,00
"Group"="Extended base"
"DriverPackageId"="hiddigi.inf_amd64_neutral_12aaf 5742a9969da"
"ForceFifoEnable"=dword:00000001
"RxFIFO"=dword:00000008
"PermitShare"=dword:00000000
"LogFifo"=dword:00000000
"DisplayName"="Serial port driver"
"Tag"=dword:00000016
"TxFIFO"=dword:00000008

Not really sure what "Tag" is above, but I tried connecting with INPA with both the "16" value above and with the recommended setting of "1" (with reboots in between). No help.

I originally had everything on Com5, but after reading numerous "it must be Com1" posts I changed all settings (device manager and .ini's) to Com1. No help. And, BTW, I'm still not convinced it really has to be Com1, either.

So here's what happens when I try and code. I plug the cable into the car's ODB2 port. The LED on the cable comes on. I plus the USB connector into my laptop. I hear the "bling bling" sound of windows successfully adding a new device and the Com port shows up in Device Manager.

I then start INPA and I see Battery and Ignition "circles" turn black, which would seem to indicate that the cable is able to communicate, does it not? See attachment for a screenshot. Note: INPA didn't show any models, I figured out I had to edit INPA.ini and add the "function key" lines--that seems to have worked.

So, while Battery and Ignition "circles" turn black, I can't seem to be able to communicate. I select F4 (E60) in INPA, and then a "Script selection" screen appears. From that screen, I select "Body" and then the sub-menu choice "Seat Modules" from the left side, then I select "Airbag ACSM" on the right-hand side. I double click "Airbag ACSM" and for a few seconds I see a yellow-colored "working" message flashing in the lower left-hand corner of my screen. Then, I get a message telling it was unable to communicate with the module. See second attachment for a screenshot.

I *think* have BMW tools setup correctly. I've installed/uninstalled it so many times now I could do it blindfolded. And yet still no love.

Anybody have any ideas? The only thing I can think of is the cable itself. Many people point towards the $100 cable available from One Stop Electronics. Perhaps my desire to save $$$ has ultimately cost me hours of wasted time? Evidence the cable is to blame:

1. Warnings by others to buy the One Stop Electronics cable and be done with it.
2. Different cable vendors seem to have different capabilities? By that I mean I've read where the cable is good "up to 2008", I've read where it's good from 1998-2013 models, I've read something along the lines of good for "up to 2008+", etc. Do I have the right cable?
3. It just doesn't work when I think it should.

Things that make me think the cable is okay and the problem lies elsewhere:

1. The cable was sold for the specific purpose of BMW diagnostics.
2. I see the Battery and Ignition "circles" turn black when plugged in.

Last night I came across a web site where the guy stated he had to short pins 7 and 8 to get his cable to work on his M3. Furthermore, I see that One Stop Electronics has a "K+DCAN OBD2 female to male Adapter". The description for this $10 part says:

===========================================

"When/Why do I need this Adapter?
This adapter is always included when you purchase an K+DCAN USB Interface from us, however we added it for customers who purchased their Interface from a 3rd party, lost or damaged their adapter or simply want to upgrade a old interface. The adapter connects pin8 (the second K-Line) back to pin7 (the primary K-Line) You need this adapter when you work on "old" K-Line based OBD2 cars and you need to access modules connected to pin8.

Please note:
If you want to use this adapter with a 3rd party interface - make sure that pin8 is already internally disconnected from pin7 on that interface."

===========================================

So might it just be a matter of getting this part to short pins 7 and 8?

Any and all help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

-
snoonan

[Only for registered users... ]

[Only for registered users... ]

The Following User Says Thank You to snoonan For This Useful Post:
vithy (04-24-2014)