BMW ICOM NEXT | BMW NBT EVO FSC Codes | BMW NBT & CIC FSC Codes | BMW Rheingold , ISTA/P, KSD, ETK remote installation | BMW STANDARD TOOLS remote installation | BMW ESYS remote installation
Go Back   BMW forum. Diagnostics, coding, programming, repair BMW vehicles. > BMWelcome > BMW coding and programming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2013, 02:17 PM

Car: BMW 545i
Default Registering battery after the fact . . .

New to coding but have been reading thread on battery registration. I installed an Exide 49-60 about 3.5 years ago in my '04 545 but did not have the battery registered at that time. A couple of questions:

1. While I know the CCA and CA of my battery from the documented specs online (850/1000), I cannot find the capacity (Ah) to know if I need to adjust for charging parameters. I haven't pulled out the battery to see if it is labeled on the battery itself but anyone know what the capacity is for this battery (as I know this is a fairly common replacement battery for the E60s)?

2. Now 3.5 years later, does it makes sense to register the battery at this point? If it is a different capacity than the original - maybe so? Would it cause problems if the E60 thinks it's a new battery when in reality not?

I have not experienced any apparent issues to date although have had an ongoing error message around Passenger Restraint System and a number of codes out of INPA that were likely kicked when I originally swapped out the battery. I plan on erasing those codes to see what continues to flare up.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Old 01-31-2013, 06:20 AM

Car: BMW 525i

Hi mate! A lot of things can be found about battery coding if you search harder.
First you need to pull out your battery to find what's the capacity (Ah), if you want to code it to your car.
After 3,5 years I wouldn't tell to the car that is a new battery, because is not! Car thinks its a new battery and behaves differently and probably it wont charge in begin at full power.
And if you have some problems with battery capacity for example the E60 does not support 100ah batteries, on the upper range, you have 90 then 110!

Here is how i did. I just changed the battery some month ago from 90ah to new 100ah battery. I have not code to 100mA cause E61 has not support,
so I just reset the battry software cycles. Well, I could register it to 110ah, but i left it to 90ah for now.

Last edited by newvintage; 01-31-2013 at 08:56 AM.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:24 AM

Car: BMW 545i

Thanks newvintage! I was hoping to not have to disconnect and pull the battery out as this trip other various codes the first go around but looks like I would need to in order to find the capacity. Even reached out directly to Exide online but have yet to receive a response.

That being said and per your comment, I may just leave it alone. I reset the codes about a week ago and none have come back yet so fingers crossed but will continue to watch