BMW ICOM NEXT | BMW NBT EVO FSC Codes | BMW NBT & CIC FSC Codes | BMW Rheingold , ISTA/P, KSD, ETK remote installation | BMW STANDARD TOOLS remote installation | BMW ESYS remote installation
Go Back   BMW forum. Diagnostics, coding, programming, repair BMW vehicles. > BMWelcome > BMW coding and programming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2014, 10:19 PM

Car: 330ci Convertible
Default Remove or modify convertible top-down speed limit

Hi Folks,

New to bmwcoders, but not new to E46 or E46Fanatics. E46Fanatics is great for mechanical DIY, but not much there as far as electronics and coding, so great to have this forum.

I'm sure this is written before, unfortunately I cannot seem to filter my search terms to achieve the results I'm looking for. From what I understand, the convertible top buttons stops functioning at about 5mph. I'm looking to change this to a safe 25mph, maybe 30 limits as is safe for the 1 series. Effectively this is the same top design with very similar aerodynamics, and the 1 series can do it at up to 40. Anyways, yes, I know, I risk safety, yada yada, I'm willing to take this into my own hands.

So the ibus code I'm (so I've heard) is the same for the sunroof on the coupe, and the sunroof can operate at any speed. I'm wondering if it's possible to re-code this for the convertible? If not, I wonder if it's possible to somehow spoof the speed info temporarily? i.e. receive speed details from a PC/Android telling the car "you're driving at 4mph" until the top down operation is completed. I would imagine this is possible as I've got a nifty device called JoyCon EXD that allows me to operate all steering button controls and send them to my Android. JoyCon EXD has a chip that can read the ibus signals, map them to keys, and then can be programmed to pass-through specific commands. This same unit could do the top down operations as well, but I don't have direct access to program the module, unfortunately.

I've attempted to output the sunroof open command to the ibus, and heard it do a motor spin, but never actually executes. All other functions, I've tested, such as door lock/unlock window up/down commands all seem to work well. I'd need to do a full sniffing of the top down sequence, but it's tough to filter out all the non-essentials.

Old 06-12-2014, 04:17 PM

Car: 330ci Convertible

bump?