BMW ICOM NEXT | BMW NBT EVO FSC Codes | BMW NBT & CIC FSC Codes | BMW Rheingold , ISTA/P, KSD, ETK remote installation | BMW STANDARD TOOLS remote installation | BMW ESYS remote installation
Go Back   BMW forum. Diagnostics, coding, programming, repair BMW vehicles. > BMWelcome > BMW coding and programming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2011, 06:55 PM

Car: 535d e60
Default Replace EKPM2 with newer EKPM3 and code

Are there any basic guides around anywhere. I need to replace my working fuel pump module EKPM2 with a new module EKPM3 which needs coding. I wouldhave thought that would be one of the simpler tasks, although it will stillbe quite complex.
Unit needs replacing as old unit is consuming 100mA whilst vehicle is in sleep mode which flattens battery within a week.

many thanks in advance.
Chapelhill.

Old 07-10-2011, 01:59 PM

Car: bmw

If you have EDIABAS/INPA you can code that module with NCS Expert, see user manual for coding or PM me. This module don't have any VIN so it can't be a big problem. If you have E9x bmw it should be under rear seat backrest on right side of vehicle.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:28 PM

Car: A Bunch

I need to do this exact same thing... Sending PM...

Thanks!

Won't let me PM, because my post count is too low...

Last edited by loftygoals; 07-24-2011 at 08:34 PM. Reason: Newb...
Old 07-25-2011, 08:54 PM

Hey,

you need NCSexpert.
1. change EKPM module
2. open NCSexpert
3. load Expertmode profile
4. choose your chassie E60 i gues?
5. choose from where you want to get VIN and FA of your car it's like LM,KMB,CAS...
6. choose "back" and then "process ECU"
7. choose EKPM
8. choose "change job" and select SG_CODIREN
9. choose "execute job" button
10. after a minute or two you're done :)

If you didn't code any car with NCS yet, please read some manual for coding the vehicles with NCSexpert, you can find it on this forum [Only for registered users... ]
if you'll get problems to open page, try to conntact Tyler. I hope i helped you.

regards,m
Old 08-08-2011, 04:09 PM

Hello guys,

I believe that you can do just a couple of changes in your car that will solve the problem without any complex part exchange and replacing and spending huge amounts of $$. :)

1. CHANGE YOUR BATTERY. This is an extremely common problem in bmws as thousands of garage owners now days install also batteries on their customer's vehicles. guess what? Yes they install A WRONG TYPE OF BATTERY on the car. You have to install original ones or at least with the exact same specs (liion, liquid acid, gel, charcoal acid etc. Amps HAVE TO BE exactly the same and so on. THE INVENTORS OF THE CAR HAD A REASON TO INSTALL THAT TYPE OF BATTERY ON THE CAR.) Get your self a fronius charger and check your battery with icheck. If the battery is OEM from dealer and the correct one and new, proceed to step 2.

2. Have an update done to your BMW for engine and ekp ONLY or you can update all the modules in your car (if you know what you’re doing and have the proper things to do it).

3. Enjoy your car that now runs perfectly and spend the money you saved from the whole thing on holidays and road trips..:):)

Good luck,
4evermetalhead.

Last edited by 4evermetalhead; 08-08-2011 at 04:11 PM.
Old 12-11-2011, 03:03 PM

Car: BMW

Btw, what's the difference between EKPM2 and EKPM3?
Old 04-26-2016, 01:38 AM

Car: 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3man View Post
Hey,

you need NCSexpert.
1. change EKPM module
2. open NCSexpert
3. load Expertmode profile
4. choose your chassie E60 i gues?
5. choose from where you want to get VIN and FA of your car it's like LM,KMB,CAS...
6. choose "back" and then "process ECU"
7. choose EKPM
8. choose "change job" and select SG_CODIREN
9. choose "execute job" button
10. after a minute or two you're done :)

If you didn't code any car with NCS yet, please read some manual for coding the vehicles with NCSexpert, you can find it on this forum [Only for registered users... ]
if you'll get problems to open page, try to conntact Tyler. I hope i helped you.

regards,m
I know this is the old thread but I wanted to add something. I recently had to deal with EKP3 module replacement (not on my car, helping someone else). The new module didn't have VIN number programmed (virgin) and it also had the wrong ZB number as well. Here is what I ended up doing.
1.Installed the old module, navigated to UIF screen in INPA and made a record of KFP ZB number.
2.Installed the new module and programmed it using the ZB number from the old module.
3. Verified VIN number and ZB number were programmed correctly (INPA UIF screen). I did try to fire the engine, but it turned off shortly after it started.
4. Used NCS Expert "Expert" mode to code EKP module
5. Cleared errors with Rheingold.
DONE. The virgin EKP3 module had wrong ZB number (it says right on the sticker), most likely for another car (335i?) as that ZB number wasn't available in E60 assembly line.
Old 07-05-2017, 04:17 AM

Car: BMW 750i
Default Ekpm3

Even if you replace this module, you will end up in the same problem.
I took my 750 to the dealer and they asked $1600 for the repairs (replace the EKPM3 module and the fuel pump)
I replaced the fuel pump myself with the OEM part and still have the same problem.
I found out that this module (EKPM3) is overheating and about to melt and burn the car. I installed a computer cooling fan on it and I have no problem since then.
please don't spend your money on replacing the fuel pump or the module, a $4 fan will solve the problem. you can connect it to the output to the fuel pump so it will work only when the fuel pump is working.
I encourage every one add this fan to prevent this module to cause fire. even if you don't have a problem.
it is a dangers failure design.
I will post some pictures to show you all how that work for me.
Old 08-27-2017, 01:46 AM

Car: 2009 535xi
Default 2009 535xi - shutdown while driving

All,

Need some help. My 535xi shuts down while driving. I think it is due to EKP getting too hot. Codes point to this module and LPFP as a problem. I also plan on changing the low pressure fuel sensor. LPFP and filter already changed.

The new EPK module I have will not code with NCS expert. I read the following stated above:

1.Installed the old module, navigated to UIF screen in INPA and made a record of KFP ZB number.
2.Installed the new module and programmed it using the ZB number from the old module.
3. Verified VIN number and ZB number were programmed correctly (INPA UIF screen). I did try to fire the engine, but it turned off shortly after it started.
4. Used NCS Expert "Expert" mode to code EKP module
5. Cleared errors with Rheingold.

On step 2 - Can someone clarify how to program new module using old ZB number. I have the old ZB number, just do not know what to do next??? Or what software to use. (INPA, NCS Expert, etc.)

Thanks,
D.
Old 09-21-2017, 06:35 PM

Car: 535i
Default EKP Module in '09 E60, 535i

I'm updating EKP module too. My 535i SHUT DOWN and stalled on fwy at 75mph in downtown Portland. "FUEL PUMP", had to have it towed to dealer. Highly frustrating, especially I've done HPFP before under warranty. Errors read LPFP and / or EKP. I've spent a bunch of time as a hi-end-electrical support tech and think that comparing both pump and controller, motors in pump are not typically intermittent, they work or not. BUT, that EKP could be suspicious. I bought a "new" one on eBay, EKP M3 (came from junk yard from '08, 328i thinking I'd get the latest version of that module and began to remove my old one, also an EKP M3. I also opened "new" EKP M3 to inspect for loose or cold solder joints and plenty of heat sink stuff as this thing gets hot!
I've been told that EKP M3 does not need coding? Just plug and play? But I also run INPA and see ZB and the last 7 of the VIN. I understand this info is coded into all modules for anti theft precautions?
After 3 days trying to get software running with new cable (also bought on eBay, Mikes Easy BMW Tools on a disc supposedly with tech support, none existent, but that's a whole nother story.. I did make INPA work, but something has changed, I used to see whole screen displayed with two black dots, now I only see two black dots (BAT and IGN) and no other info, no buttons F3-F9??? Something messed with install?
NCS Expert, and BMW Coding tool both work. I need INPA read outs so i can see how EKP is coded, so I will know when I change it where to update. How come INPA only displays two buttons? Install tampered? HELP?