BMW ICOM NEXT | BMW NBT EVO FSC Codes | BMW NBT & CIC FSC Codes | BMW Rheingold , ISTA/P, KSD, ETK remote installation | BMW STANDARD TOOLS remote installation | BMW ESYS remote installation
Go Back   BMW forum. Diagnostics, coding, programming, repair BMW vehicles. > BMWelcome > BMW diagnostics and repair

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2014, 01:59 AM

Car: 2004 Range Rover HSE
Default 2004 Range Rover HSE, Steering alignment sensor code.

So I have a new to me Range Rover HSE (using the BMW 4.4/ZF5HP24 trans) with some issues. After spending a week fixing everything that was neglected and broken, I'm on the home stretch. I have installed new front airbags, and after clearing the codes the compressor fired up and filled the reservoir. Problem is, right now I have ABS/DSC/BRAKE lights illuminated, and as a result the entire EAS (electronic air suspension) is deactivated. The truck is still on the bumpstops. After getting INPA working, I have come up with the following code:

For those of you that can't read that, it says "90 degrees of wiper too large (adjustment operation)"

I have attempted to do the align the sensor by starting the car, then going lock, pause, opposite lock, pause, then center. The lights persist. I have been told that if I were to change the sensor, I would need to visit a dealer in order to have it initialized through IDS in order to actually activate the new sensor. I have considered opening the old one, and checking for damage to the contacts, but would prefer to have a replacement in hand. I've read some have had luck repairing them, my thoughts are that If my failure IS the contacts, I can swap the parts from a new unit and use my existing board to prevent the need to visit the dealer (who is 2.5hrs away, I'd have to trailer the truck).

Photo of the contact failure I am referring to, note, this is not mine, just thinking aloud.

Thoughts? Suggestions? I guess I'm asking what my next step is :)

Thanks in advance, DD.

Old 07-03-2014, 08:07 PM

Update:

Got the sensor out, mine looks the same as the one above. The brush that tracks the outer annulus is destroyed. New one enroute. I've managed to read the data from the old unit, will just transfer that to the new one.
Old 07-06-2014, 12:13 AM

Replaced the sensor, Now I have a new code:

LRW-Maximum exceeded.

That description is a bit vague....

Now, after clearing the codes, then doing the steering angle sensor calibration the ABS and BRAKE lights will sometimes go off for a second (but they come right back on). Thoughts? INPA won't communicate with the ABS module, so I'm waiting on an All-comms cable to arrive :(

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-11-2014, 06:31 PM

Car: range rover l322
Default tracking

Hi,
Did you get it sorted? I had a similar problem with mine. after driving about 100 yards the abs and brake lights would come on, turned out to be: the sensor can be 10 deg off center when the car is traveling straight, recon mine was about 12 deg off. i didn't fit a new sensor so just centralized the steering wheel and tracked the wheels, job done.the error code was 29 hex or 41 decimal
hope this is of some help.
Old 11-28-2014, 04:42 AM

I did get it sorted. It was misaligned. Took a few tries, but all is well now :)