BMW ICOM NEXT | BMW NBT EVO FSC Codes | BMW NBT & CIC FSC Codes | BMW Rheingold , ISTA/P, KSD, ETK remote installation | BMW STANDARD TOOLS remote installation | BMW ESYS remote installation
Go Back   BMW forum. Diagnostics, coding, programming, repair BMW vehicles. > BMWelcome > BMW diagnostics and repair

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2016, 06:28 AM

Car: E90
Default Barely cranks

So My wife has a 2007 328xi. It barely cranks, but starts. I though I had a weak battery, but it tested good. Thinking about replacing the starter by myself, but don't want to pay $150 for a new one from a parts store. So my question is, is there anything else that can cause sluggish starts? Could it be just the relay?

Old 11-29-2016, 02:41 AM

Car: e30325e e39530i e60M5

It seems to be the starter but I would do a full charge on the battery again, disconnect it, reinstall it and try starting again. If there is still an issue, replace the starter.
Old 11-29-2016, 09:01 PM

Car: E46

I'd Check you don't have a serious voltage drop to your starter. If you have a multimeter try going from the red cable held on to the starter by a 13 mm nut to your positive battery post with your multimeter leads. Doesnt really matter which color goes where. You should set your multimeter to the 2V scale and try and start it. You should see no more than .5V while starting. Also check from anywhere on the starter case to your negative battery post. If you have less than .5V its safe to say it's the starter. If you see a negative sign just ignore it and read the numbers. Hope this helps
Old 12-15-2016, 02:18 AM

Car: 2004 X5

Good day,

Does anything different happen if you hook up jumper cables to the terminal under the hood?? I too, would verify the battery is full charge... If that is good, check for poor connections at the battery cables on the non-battery side... Ground cabel to vehicle specifically... Poor grounds cause lots of things to continue to work, but poorly...

Let us know what you find...

Cheers!!!

Tags
starter