BMW ICOM NEXT | BMW NBT EVO FSC Codes | BMW NBT & CIC FSC Codes | BMW Rheingold , ISTA/P, KSD, ETK remote installation | BMW STANDARD TOOLS remote installation | BMW ESYS remote installation
Go Back   BMW forum. Diagnostics, coding, programming, repair BMW vehicles. > BMWelcome > BMW diagnostics and repair

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By franc01s

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2017, 10:01 AM

Car: BMW 318i E90
Default BMW 318i N43 Engine Problems Errors: 2A99 2A87 29F3

Hello friends,

Here we go again with my N43 horror story. The car has 50k miles on the clock.

For a few days it starts hardly than normal and even comes to a stall sometimes. Today it behaved really bad. The engine sounds and acts like it's clogged . It doesn't rev up more than 2000 RPM.

29F3 - Fuel Low Pressure Sensor Electric
2A26 - Catalytic Converter, Conversion in stratified - charge mode
2A2D Fuel Low pressure, fuel pressure
2A87 Exhaust Vanos Mechanism
2A99 Crankshaft, exhaust camshaft
2AAF Fuel pump, plausability
2C31 Oxygen sensor emissions control

My mechanic consider this a possibile timing chain failure, but the kit was changed 20k km ago.
I also had the 29F3 Fuel low pressure sensor error for a long time, but the car ran smoothly, so the mechanic said it's ok to drive.

Any advice is highly appreciated! Thank you!

Old 07-21-2017, 11:40 AM

Car: E91, E36/C, E36/7

Hello nclsamy,
I'm not familiar with N43 issues, but would advice to change mechanic. Missing fuel pressure naturally can be an issue with starting and running of an engine. Pleawe take into consideration that the engine has already been developed to run very lean. Missing fuel pressure and therefore fuel quantity (injection volume is defined by injection valve opening time/frequency on defined pressure) makes engine run too hot. Catalytic converter malfunctions due to wrong mixture can be a consequence, as well as an oxygen sensor issue. If oxygen level in exhausts stay in a very high level the signal is evaluated non plausible and sets a failure code.
But have also neg. ground of engine and ecu checked. Rest of failures can come from missing ground connection. It's not common to have so many NOK-components at the same time. Check fuel pump connector under the back seat left AND right sides.
Regs,
Diego

Gesendet von meinem E6653 mit Tapatalk
Old 07-22-2017, 10:27 PM

Car: BMW E36 VERT

Hi nclsamy
Have the cats checked, they could be causing all your troubles, I had a similar issue, changed fuel pump cause I thought it's low fuel pressure ( didn't have a fuel pressure gauge to test pressure) loosened the flange (4 bolts ) at the exhaust and the car still sounded quiet, like the exhaust is connected, loosened the exhaust manifold and although it made a helluva noise, the engine revved up perfectly, removed the cats on the exhaust manifold and the car ran smooth with no issue, I even fit the original fuel pump back into it and it ran smoothly.

Sent from Cape Town
Old 07-24-2017, 03:32 PM

Hello, franc!

Thank you a lot for your reply. That's exactly the procedure what my mechanic did today and concluded that the catalytic converter is faulty. The problem is that it cost an awful 1500GPB to replace and I don't know what to do. Is there another solution? Are there universal catalytic converters?

I found an used one for about 350 GBP, but I doubt it will last long. Should I try it?
Old 07-25-2017, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nclsamy View Post
Hello, franc!

Thank you a lot for your reply. That's exactly the procedure what my mechanic did today and concluded that the catalytic converter is faulty. The problem is that it cost an awful 1500GPB to replace and I don't know what to do. Is there another solution? Are there universal catalytic converters?

I found an used one for about 350 GBP, but I doubt it will last long. Should I try it?
Hi samy
Going the used route is risky, our laws in South Africa is much more relaxed when it comes to m.o.t, they don't really check for those things, I had my cats cut open and removed the insides and had them welded up, a de-cat if you will, 2nd hand is very risky it might end up costing you more than a new ones (fitting them and finding them last for only a month or 3 then having to replace again) if it comes off a runner then sure it's worth a shot I guess.
Easy way to describe a blocked cat to a non mechanical person, imagine the feeling of constipation, food went in but the waste can't get out, you'll feel poorly, that's basically what's happening when a cat is blocked.

Sent from Cape Town
nclsamy likes this.

Last edited by franc01s; 07-25-2017 at 01:52 AM.
Old 07-25-2017, 03:18 PM

Thank you a lot franc!

"imagine a feeling of constipation"

I was hoping that the "constipation" can be sold with some diet, without actually needing to replace the whole bowel

I assume there is virtually no point to try a regeneration of the catalytic converter, right?
Old 07-29-2017, 02:37 AM

Notifications doesn't come through for some reason, try the decat and see what it does, if the car revs up proper and drives, then try and source a new/good used one.

Sent from Cape Town