BMW ICOM NEXT | BMW NBT EVO FSC Codes | BMW NBT & CIC FSC Codes | BMW Rheingold , ISTA/P, KSD, ETK remote installation | BMW STANDARD TOOLS remote installation | BMW ESYS remote installation
Go Back   BMW forum. Diagnostics, coding, programming, repair BMW vehicles. > BMWelcome > BMW diagnostics and repair

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2013, 01:22 PM

Car: BMW E46
Default Bmw 318i se automatic

First of all hello all and sorry for my bad english.
I have a 318i BMW 2002 reg automatic N42 engine(my previous was a 318i 1999 manual m43 engine) and i have no ideea about this type of engine .

The engine was struggling to torque when not driving so i was told that the TIMING CHAIN TENSIONER might be loose and worn so i have replaced it. The car is ok though i still have the same errors reading with INPA.

2850 vvt guiding sensor
2852 vvt ref sensor
27C3 Signal oil level sensor

2731 Camshaft control inlet - VANOS
27BB Camshaft control inlet - VANOS
2783 Hot film air mass meter - not occurred yet (?)
277F Crankshaft sensor - not occurred yet (?)
28D7 Generator comunication - Error not present now, but allready stored

(After erased them only the first three of them appeared again)

I have checked the gearbox aswell because when driving the fuel gauge stay only on the consumption limit al though i am keeping the gas pedal slightly pressed and it feels like it doesn`t change gears between 2 - 3000 rot/min.
Another problem is when i reduce speed the car is breaking to sudden almost like when you use ABS system. The errors in the gearbox are :

146 CAN moment interface
150 CAN engine speed
Also the exclamation mark in the gearbox dash area is on and the ASC light sometimes, i don`t know if they have any connection but this are the only lights on in the dash.

Any help will be much appreciate, everybody tell me to sell the car because is nothing i can do or change everything, like gearbox, engine, etc ...
I don't wan't to pay any BMW dealer to check it as i have some funny experiences before with the dealers, maybe i will tell in another post, but now i am to stressed about because i love the car and is a shame to get rid of it.

Thanks in advance, again please forgive me for my bad english, if you require any additional info feel free to post here, i will try to provide them if i know how to

Old 02-28-2013, 07:04 AM

Car: BMW

I have faced the same problem. After doing everything I was getting the same error again and again. At last I took my car to a service station. I think you also talk to mechanic who is expert in repairing BMW.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:34 PM

Car: BMW E46

What did he said? Or you are in the middle of the project? The car still at the garrage? I have an appointment on this saturday. I will change the engine oul and filter and the bearings from the traction and also i will change the oil in the auto gearbox.Try to loose the funny noise when i go from drive to reverse and when reducing speed. Also i will have it pro check don't really trust the INPA.
Also when i switch to triptronic at 40 m/h i was in fifth speed on the gear dash? Is this poss? Or just another malfunction?