BMW ICOM NEXT | BMW NBT EVO FSC Codes | BMW NBT & CIC FSC Codes | BMW Rheingold , ISTA/P, KSD, ETK remote installation | BMW STANDARD TOOLS remote installation | BMW ESYS remote installation
Go Back   BMW forum. Diagnostics, coding, programming, repair BMW vehicles. > BMWelcome > BMW diagnostics and repair

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2011, 11:25 PM

Car: BMW 745Li
Question BMW 745Li N62 Engine heads clogged or restricted

Hello everybody I have a 2003 BMW 745Li, Which I have used coolant sealer.
I know what was I thinking??? Well I would like to know if anybody has ever managed to clean the coolant passages without removing the heads. I have tried Preston super cleaner, and flush. But only a little bit of the sealer comes out. I have been flushing for about a week now and it seems to be getting better but I still keep getting air pockets in the engine.

Another problem is, the engine is running hotter than normal. which is causing my transmission to overheat, and not shift when driving in the city during heavy traffic. On the highway it runs fine but once I hit a little bit of traffic it starts up again.

I would really appreciate any help, or suggesting

Old 07-09-2011, 05:13 PM

Car: E46

i think you will have to remove the head to check for damages. how about the coolant level?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to malcolm For This Useful Post:
davidemx (07-12-2011), jairo (07-11-2011)
Old 07-10-2011, 05:19 AM

I think im going to have to remove the heads, and send them out, to a machine shop. Another problem which this has created is, that the transmission is over heating. I think It has also has clogged the transmission cooler. I have changed 1. the transmission thermostat, 2. the engine thermostat, 3. water pump, 4. center pipe, 5. radiator, 6.expansion tank. But it has yet to solve my transmission problem. Im experience hard shifts, Jerking in 3,and 4th gears (only when the transmission is overheating) Im not sure what normal operating temps are but i easily can run over 240*F. I think normal is around 200*F
I been using INPA to check the transmission, and engine temp. But the engine always runs cooler than the transmission.
Finally before i remove the heads im going to replace the transmission cooler and see what happens.
Old 07-10-2011, 01:54 PM

Car: bmw

Hey,

you may have a problem with heat exchanger (P/N 17 21 7 519 213)for transmission. Coolant may leak into transmission oil or that seal is blocking normal cooling of transmission oil. Pls clean all your transmission oil pipes ;) Also you can update your software for transmission and then delete adapptation data in INPA. Do you have any other faults in DME? That can also cause that transmission is not working as it should.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to m3man For This Useful Post:
jairo (07-11-2011), Micky_chen (01-14-2014)
Old 07-10-2011, 03:36 PM

I'm going to replace the Heat exchanger. Monday. I also have 4 fault codes which are coming from the valve gulides, and seals. Bank 1,2 catalytic-converter, below threshold.

The other two codes are secondary air system also below threshold. I believe that once I rebuild the heads it will fix those codes.

1 question do you know what is the best gulides to use. I was told by the machine shop that using brass will correct the problems of them failing.
Also do you recommend removing the engine to remove the head or should I pull the heads out with the engine still in?
Thanks in advance.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:10 PM

Car: bmw

Sorry my english is not so good, what is gulide (google translate don't know that and so do i :) ) Did you mean valve guide?? If so you really need to change them and also valve springs if your car have more that 100000km.

If you have fault code for both catalytc converters then you should check pressure regulatin valve for oil separator = membrane for bank1 and 2 P/N 11 12 7 547 058 (really not expencive). That's most common problem at N62 engines. Also when you'll have catalyc-converters out check them, also common problem, here in my country you can repair them form 1/3 of new price.

Yes you should remove engine from vehicle, other way you'll be sorry :) Unfortunately i experiencet this myself :(

When you'll remove the engine please replace this pipe P/N = 11 14 1 439 975 and this cover behind the motor block P/N 11 14 7 504 376 often is leaking water or oil and then you need to remove engine again.:) Also i recomend to change chain guide rail and tensioner (also had bad experience).

(Uff man... that won't be cheap:( )

That it is for now.
The Following User Says Thank You to m3man For This Useful Post:
jairo (07-11-2011)
Old 07-11-2011, 01:11 AM

Car: E53,E65,E36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jairo View Post
I think im going to have to remove the heads, and send them out, to a machine shop. Another problem which this has created is, that the transmission is over heating. I think It has also has clogged the transmission cooler. I have changed 1. the transmission thermostat, 2. the engine thermostat, 3. water pump, 4. center pipe, 5. radiator, 6.expansion tank. But it has yet to solve my transmission problem. Im experience hard shifts, Jerking in 3,and 4th gears (only when the transmission is overheating) Im not sure what normal operating temps are but i easily can run over 240*F. I think normal is around 200*F
I been using INPA to check the transmission, and engine temp. But the engine always runs cooler than the transmission.
Finally before i remove the heads im going to replace the transmission cooler and see what happens.
What brand radiator & water pump did you install?? O.E. or aftermarket
The Following User Says Thank You to c337cc For This Useful Post:
jairo (07-11-2011)
Old 07-11-2011, 01:14 AM

Quote:
I'm going to replace the Heat exchanger. Monday. I also have 4 fault codes which are coming from the valve gulides, and seals. Bank 1,2 catalytic-converter, below threshold.

The other two codes are secondary air system also below threshold. I believe that once I rebuild the heads it will fix those codes.

1 question do you know what is the best gulides to use. I was told by the machine shop that using brass will correct the problems of them failing.
Also do you recommend removing the engine to remove the head or should I pull the heads out with the engine still in?
Thanks in advance.
The plastic pipes under the intake for the secondary air valves are a know failure item. The early n62 valve guides also wear early,mainly due to those 15,000 mile oil change intervals done @ the dealers.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to c337cc For This Useful Post:
Admin (07-11-2011), jairo (07-11-2011)
Old 07-11-2011, 03:12 AM

I have replaced the radiator with an original BMW part. I also replaced the center pipe with one that allgerman auto sells. Below is there link.

I also replaced the water pump with an original BMW water pump. Same goes for the thermostat Original. I don't believe in installing aftermarket part on a car that is of high performance like the E66. However i sometimes do look for who is the maker of the part for BMW is, and then just buy directly from them which is still a real OEM Parts just with out the BMW stamp.

[Only for registered users... ]

I installed it in, just under 8 hours and it has worked very well.

Well I will be taking pictures and shooting a video to show my progress. ( I just thought that I should mention that this car has 263846 miles on it) We at JFK Car Service do plenty of preventive maintenance on all our cars that is the only reason why our cars are in tiptop shape. ( I would like to load a few pictures up) to show the condition of this car in particular.
Here in this link you can get to our website.

I will update everybody in the following days, with pictures and more as to the progress that im having.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image0366.jpg (138.3 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg image0500.jpg (28.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg image0493.jpg (32.1 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg image0513.jpg (22.9 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg image0778.jpg (48.0 KB, 10 views)
Old 07-11-2011, 12:10 PM

Quote:
I have replaced the radiator with an original BMW part. I also replaced the center pipe with one that allgerman auto sells. Below is there link.

I also replaced the water pump with an original BMW water pump. Same goes for the thermostat Original. I don't believe in installing aftermarket part on a car that is of high performance like the E66. However i sometimes do look for who is the maker of the part for BMW is, and then just buy directly from them which is still a real OEM Parts just with out the BMW stamp.

I installed it in, just under 8 hours and it has worked very well.

Well I will be taking pictures and shooting a video to show my progress. ( I just thought that I should mention that this car has 263846 miles on it) We at JFK Car Service do plenty of preventive maintenance on all our cars that is the only reason why our cars are in tiptop shape. ( I would like to load a few pictures up) to show the condition of this car in particular.
Here in this link you can get to our website.

I will update everybody in the following days, with pictures and more as to the progress that im having.
The All german center pipe is the cats meow. I have installed several of them. Thats the design BMW should have used originally.

Tags
bmw 745li, overheating