BMW ICOM NEXT | BMW NBT EVO FSC Codes | BMW NBT & CIC FSC Codes | BMW Rheingold , ISTA/P, KSD, ETK remote installation | BMW STANDARD TOOLS remote installation | BMW ESYS remote installation
Go Back   BMW forum. Diagnostics, coding, programming, repair BMW vehicles. > BMWelcome > BMW diagnostics and repair

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2012, 05:59 AM

Car: BMW
Default BMW E32 750iL EML Fault

Hi, got an error code of "060" or just "60" from the EML control module but have looked high and low on the net, in TIS and various training manuals for a definition but nothing. Two generic Scantools give "no description' very useful.

Car details and history:
1989 model
750 so it's a V12
Right hand drive.
Using Autoland Iscan II Scanner (my ICOM system is on order but customer needs car instantly for a movie shoot).
Tektronix DPO2014 digital storage scope

Car was driving fine until owner parked it outside in the rain and left it sitting for many years, now has lots of problems (whole heap that I rectified, and many more I have not - unrelated to engine/powertrain).
Car had got water damage in lots of placed and in various module.

Fault I'm focusing on a the moment with the car is the passenger side throttle body is not operating.
Seem to have fixed all problems with the throttle bodies and both appear to work ok on the drivers side.
On power up EML module will move the pasenger side throttle plate a small amount and then give up and set the above code. I have looked at the two PWM drive signals, position sensor and 17 degree plate switch signal and all seems to be ok. EML module has had some water through it but I cannot see and damage (this means nothing though). One of the engine control module was water damaged along the bottom of the the lower PCB but have cleaned and fixed all the damage there. Both bank ECU's have clear codes.

Not sure if I have a faulty module or It's not happy with excess current draw, comm's fault with one of the engine ecu's?? or something like that.

Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks.

(12+ Years experience in automotive electronics diagnosis, testing and repair industry so have half a clue of what I'm doing)

Old 08-18-2012, 12:37 AM

Car: 318i

It's a m70 engine ,you said the passenger side throttle body doesn't move, and exchange the two throttle body and check they are both ok, then should be the EML control unit fail. But it's better to check the fault memorry first ,search a scanner like INPA it's easyer.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:34 AM

Problem worked out (sort of). Got hold of a GT1 today and read codes: Gave me code 20 (DK switch) and Code 9 (EML Fault).
How did two aftermarket scanner both come up with only a single error code of 060??

Passenger side throttle body did start working as normal for a short period of time after codes were cleared with GT1 but then after a while went back to the same thing as before. Looked at servo motor position feedback signals with a scope at the EML module and both are there. EML seems to have an internal fault (most likely due to water damage). Will now need to do circuit tracing on the bench to find the damage.

The throttle body problem aside I now have injection, spark and fuel pressure on both banks but engine just intermittent fires a little and will not start (even with extra air bleed around throttle bodies) .
It apparently had run for a while and was idling then after turning engine off would not start again.

Vehicle kilometers is unknown as cluster is not reading the code plug for some reason (I have not investigated this yet - probably caps in the cluster). Do the M70's suffer timing chain slippage or other mechanical problems that may cause a no start?

Thanks.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:29 AM

Engine is running!! F***ed plugs. Infact there was a mixture of all different plugs. New set of plugs and is now running really quite good but intermittently hunts and has too high idle. Think it's got a vacuum leak?? All EML Codes are gone and no light on in the cluster. EML module has still got a fault in my opinion (water damage that I cannot see or bad joints) but customer only wants the car to be able to be driven a bit so I'm done.
Passenger side throttle body will eventually play up again as I did not actively do anything to rectify the fault.

I must say even after being so neglected it runs amazingly smooth (could not drive it as it needs brakes looked at).
Old 08-24-2012, 09:34 PM

Car: BMW850CSi, BMW750i (e38)

Hi greglig,

to late for you I think, but anyway! This is what DIS says to error 9. I guess, the reason for your error 9 is the power supply thing.

As I read your posting, I do remember that I saw error 9 in my own EML. Yesterday I found the time to read the fault memory of my EML. Error 9 was still present. Now I cleared the fault memory.

Then I switched the ignition off, and on again, without starting the engine. I read the fault memory again and no error was found.

Then I started the engine and read the fault memory again. Error 9 was back!

I think the power consumption of the starter causes a reduction of the system voltage and with it, EML error 9.

Best wishes
Joachim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EmlError09.jpg (9.3 KB, 8 views)
Old 08-29-2012, 02:35 PM

Hi ArnoNym, thanks for the info (will file it away in memory banks for next time I see it - if ever).

What you say regarding the starter dropping battery voltage makes sense. I did not check what was happening to battery voltage under cranking situation. The car did also have a bad battery that required constant charging to be able to crank the engine.

I have also seen brand new batteries dip below 8 volts for just and instant when cranking and upset various module. This is very hard to explain to the mechanic working on the car that the new battery is faulty even if the engine seems to crank as normal.
This type of fault is hard to detect with a multimeter and must be looked at with a good quality scope (see attachment).

I see you have two of my favorite cars E31 and E38. I will be moving to Europe soon and hope to find an E66 750Li that has been very well looked after as my weekend car.
I love Germany it's a magnificent place and would like to tour more of it. I have a few relatives that live in Marl over there. I have also been to Berlin which I really loved.

Thanks again for the info.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tek Scope.jpg (324.7 KB, 10 views)
Old 09-12-2012, 08:40 PM

Car: BMW850CSi, BMW750i (e38)

Hi greglig,

we are back now from our holiday journey to djerba/tunisia.

Im near Pforzheim at the Northern Black Forest. This is about 425 Km from Marl. Also a nice spot in Germany. Specially if you are a passionately motorbike driver.

What do you mean with "moving to Europe"? Do you leave Australia permanent or do you just visit your relatives in Europe/Germany?

I like your scope. Fantastic tool, but not even a cheap toy. Definitive a very helpfull thing for many car diagnostic purposes.:)

Best wishes
Joachim
Old 09-16-2012, 02:38 PM

Hi ArnoNym, moving to Europe permanently. Should be happening in the next few months (when my Polish passport eventually arrives). Had enough of lots of things in my life and need a change. Been over there a while ago on an extended holiday and loved it. Most Australians here like the hot weather (35-38+ for days or weeks on end), I personally don't like the heat (especially when it's it hot at night - can be up to 30) so don't mind moving to a colder climate.
I guess a lot of tourists that come to Australia want to see the animals but all they cause me is problems - birds and possums that is.
One thing I really like about Europe (on top of everything else) is all the history, old buildings, museums and cities you can visit.

Also, I hope you had a good holiday.

Thanks.
Greg.

PS. A few photos of the car I was working on:
[Only for registered users... ]