BMW ICOM NEXT | BMW NBT EVO FSC Codes | BMW NBT & CIC FSC Codes | BMW Rheingold , ISTA/P, KSD, ETK remote installation | BMW STANDARD TOOLS remote installation | BMW ESYS remote installation
Go Back   BMW forum. Diagnostics, coding, programming, repair BMW vehicles. > BMWelcome > BMW diagnostics and repair

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2017, 08:54 PM

Car: E46 M3
Default Camshaft angle...anything but DIS

I have DIS v57 and all the functions and tests seem to work except the very one I need...to read the DME for a VANOS fault. DIS fails in communication for that test, but works for everything else I've thrown at it over the past years. Is there anywhere in INPA where I can get the camshaft timing angles? Other simple tool/software? I have a couple other BMW software tools as well.

tl;dr

What am I trying to diagnose?
I have BMW INPA code 185 / P0014, B Camshaft exhaust timing following my Beisan upgrade. I'm guessing I missed something in setting the exhaust cam timing...maybe the hub wasn't loose enough and it turned with the cam when I was resetting the timing. There are other possible causes, but I'm trying to eliminate this one to be certain re-timing isn't necessary before focusing on sensors or something faulty in the VANOS in the rebuild (seal, actuator, etc).

I'm on INPA v5.0.6, and some have referenced there are "services" section of INPA that has this but it's nowhere in my INPA analog/digital values or any other screen. Also have DIS v44 (someone referenced that v57 can have this very problem, but it's ok with v44), however I don't like that solution much because the install and usage of the software has a much more complicated series of steps compared to how easily v57 runs normally (yes...except for the DME test).

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by JamesSJ1; 04-27-2017 at 04:42 AM.

Old 05-05-2017, 01:14 AM

Car: all

Xdiag pro3 can read all data and do actuations ect.. and its not too pricie or ISTA/D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk