BMW ICOM NEXT | BMW NBT EVO FSC Codes | BMW NBT & CIC FSC Codes | BMW Rheingold , ISTA/P, KSD, ETK remote installation | BMW STANDARD TOOLS remote installation | BMW ESYS remote installation
Go Back   BMW forum. Diagnostics, coding, programming, repair BMW vehicles. > BMWelcome > BMW diagnostics and repair

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2017, 06:37 AM

Car: E46 330i
Default Cannot connect to OBD diagnostic port - E60 M5

Hello,

I have attempted to connect to the OBD diagnostic port on a friend's BMW M5 - without success. Perhaps someone could offer advice?

The car is an E60 - build date September 2005. Right-hand drive European model (Australia).

I used an Acer laptop, running Windows XP (SP3) operating system. The software that I used was INPA version 5.00, and also DIS v57.

I attempted to connect using both a black Kcan cable and also a clear K+Dcan cable (see attached photo). I would first insert the key and push the start button twice (without depressing the brake pedal), thus turning on the ignition.

When I connected the clear (silver) cable to the OBD port in the car, the red light on the cable illuminated. I connected the other end of the cable into my laptop USB port, opened the INPA software, selected the "E60" model, then selected the "Engine", then I selected the "MS65 for S85" option. As soon as I did this, the red light on the cable turned off and an error message appeared (see attachments). We checked all of the fuses, and found that none had blown. I disconnected the cable, turned the ignition off and then turned it on again. When I re-connected the cable, the red light on the cable turned on again. As soon as I tried to connect using the INPA software, the red light would turn off, and the same error message would appear. I also tried connecting using the DIS software; an error message would appear, and from my recollection, the red light on the cable would also turn off when I attempted to connect.

I then made another attempt to connect to the car's OBD port; this time, I used the black cable. The red light on the cable turned on as soon as it was plugged into the OBD port. I connected the cable to my laptop's USB port, and attempted to connect using the INPA software. This time, the same error message appeared on my laptop (see attachment). However, with the black cable, the red light would not turn off when the software error message appeared. I tried to connect several times, with both cables, with no success.

I subsequently connected each cable to my E46 330i, and both cables connected with no problem. In the past, I have successfully used the cables and the INPA & DIS software to connect to:

E46 330i
E46 318i
E53 X5 4.4i (petrol)
E70 X5 4.8i (petrol)

Could anyone shed some light on how I can connect to the OBD port on an E60 M5? Has anyone else connected successfully to this model of car? Could you please explain how?

Thanks
Geoff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BMW Cables.JPG (70.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Screen shot 1.jpg (111.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Screen shot 2.jpg (92.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Screen shot 3.jpg (38.6 KB, 6 views)