BMW ICOM NEXT | BMW NBT EVO FSC Codes | BMW NBT & CIC FSC Codes | BMW Rheingold , ISTA/P, KSD, ETK remote installation | BMW STANDARD TOOLS remote installation | BMW ESYS remote installation
Go Back   BMW forum. Diagnostics, coding, programming, repair BMW vehicles. > BMWelcome > BMW diagnostics and repair

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2013, 03:34 PM

Car: 318i E90 LCI
Question CIC Optical Drive Repair/Replace

I have a E90 post-LCI 318i European version (manufactured 11/2008), with Professional Navigation package (CIC iDrive, with optical drive and hard disk included in the head unit). CIC faceplate has preset buttons marked 1 to 8 (I mention this as I have seen others with only 6 presets)

The CD/DVD drive isn't working, as I can't read any music CDs o movie DVDs. Everything else works OK. I believe this has happened because of lack of use, the previous owner tells me he hasn't used the CD/DVD drive for 3 years. When I insert CDs or DVDs I get "Unknown" in the CIC display. I bought a lens cleaner CD but this didn't fix it. I realized it wasn't a problem with the lens, it seems that the disc isn't even spinning because the sound emitted by the drive was very low, I can just hear an intermittent brief hum every 3 seconds.

I have read everywhere that the optical drive cannot be replaced separately. This post ([Only for registered users... ]) supports this view also. However, according to page 18 of a CIC Service Manual I found ([Only for registered users... ]) the "DVD/CD player including the CIC housing cover" is an individual replaceable component of the CIC module.

I wonder that I could remove the CIC, and take only the optical drive module to a technician with general knowledge so that hopefully he can repair it. In Peru, where I live in, I haven't found technicians specialized in BMW electronic equipment repair. The BMW dealership I believe won't try to fix the optical drive, they will just opt to replace the whole CIC module (they sell it here for USD$4000) which is VERY expensive.

Please advice as to which would be the better solution to this problem. Is it possible for a technician with general knowledge to fix the optical drive? Where could I buy just the optical drive and replace it myself? Is my only option to buy the whole CIC?

Thanks for any help

Old 07-29-2014, 08:55 PM

Car: BMW E46 320D 2003

im running into the same problem..! did you ever find a solution to your DVD optical drive issue with your CIC HU..?
Old 07-30-2014, 08:41 PM

Car: 318i E90 LCI
Default Solved

Hi,
I solved this problem. several months ago. I contacted several BMW CIC repair shops hoping for a solution, and finally I got in contact with Bimmer Retrofit ([Only for registered users... ]). They had a spare CD/DVD optical drive that was compatible with mi CIC unit. I had the drive shipped from Canada (I live in Lima-Perú), the drive only cost me about 400 Canadian Dollars, plus shipping. They provided me instructions on how to install it (I had to remove my CIC unit, open it, and replace the part myself), but it wasn't so difficult, I did it in about 30 minutes. I didn't have to recode the CIC unit, so I got no complications.

I hope you solve your problem, let me know if you have any further questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarmiento View Post
im running into the same problem..! did you ever find a solution to your DVD optical drive issue with your CIC HU..?
Old 02-17-2015, 10:15 AM

Car: BMW E46 320D 2003

hey buddy... did you get the part number of the DVD drive the sold to you..? perhaps it is a regular ATAPI drive and it can be purchased and retrofitted with the added expense of 400 hundred dollars... thanks!
Old 05-12-2015, 04:33 PM

Car: BMW M3 Sedan

I like this Professional Navigation package, it's pretty cool. Actually this drive error happened because of some dust on the lenses so it's better to keep this away from dirt and clean it regularly.

Tags
cic optical drive repair