BMW ICOM NEXT | BMW NBT EVO FSC Codes | BMW NBT & CIC FSC Codes | BMW Rheingold , ISTA/P, KSD, ETK remote installation | BMW STANDARD TOOLS remote installation | BMW ESYS remote installation
Go Back   BMW forum. Diagnostics, coding, programming, repair BMW vehicles. > BMWelcome > BMW diagnostics and repair

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2017, 04:13 PM

Car: e39
Default DIS basics

Hello everyone, go easy, first post and all that! I have some rather numpty questions about the operation of DIS/ISTA-D.

I own e39 with SLS and my good friend owns an e61. I have recently fallen foul of SLS inact warning on the dashboard and aside from replacing the air sus bags I was hoping to get some more info from DIS or ISTA-D.

My car has the round ODB connector in the engine bay, After changing the bags we plugged ISTA-D which we a great experience with on the e61. Unfortunately ISTA-D was unable to communicate with several modules on the e39. Since it was the first time we plugged it in we didn't know what to expect.

I did a little digging and found some folk were saying to use DIS as they had more success communicating with e39 modules. SOme other folk were saying that I should not run the engine when connecting...

Can anyone on here provide some advice about this?

When connecting or diagnosing is the engine meant to be on or off?
Does DIS have more success connecting to modules such as the EHC?

The status of the car or EHC is thus:

1) Pre run mode (or wake up) works the car pumps up and stops pumping (Does not over pump)
2) Running mode does not seem to be working (Hence the dash error)
3) When using ISTA-D it cannot communicate with the EHC

Any suggestion would be of great help and sincerest apologies if I have not posted in the right place.