BMW ICOM NEXT | BMW NBT EVO FSC Codes | BMW NBT & CIC FSC Codes | BMW Rheingold , ISTA/P, KSD, ETK remote installation | BMW STANDARD TOOLS remote installation | BMW ESYS remote installation
Go Back   BMW forum. Diagnostics, coding, programming, repair BMW vehicles. > BMWelcome > BMW diagnostics and repair

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2014, 06:19 PM

Car: e63 645
Default e63 645 cranks but wont start

i'll start off by saying im just about ready to torch this thing.

ive had so many electrical issues since ive bought it but this one has got me totally stumped.

i was driving home on sunday, slowing down for a roundabout when the i drive lit up with "transmission failure" and the red cog on the dash.

i was only a mile or two from home so i limped it back, whilst doing so, the rev counter was going nuts, swinging up and down, but the engine didnt sound like it was changing speed and it didnt seem to be changing gears.

i plugged my laptop in and using inpa, read "crankshaft sensor failure" from the engine and "4f86" and "51A7" from the gearbox.

after stopping the car as soon as i got home, it then wouldnt re start.

switch the ignition on and everything is fine, start cranking and you get the "transmission failure" on the i drive screen.

i removed the crank sensor and probed it with a multimeter, open circuit between any of the 3 pins. fair enough, maybe it failed from old age.

new one arrived today, so i swapped it made sure the connector was on the sensor nice and snug, all the pins in the connector were okay and not pushed back.

exactly the same problem. just sits there cranking and reading the errors from the engine gives the same crank sensor failure.

in the "status" tab on inpa, where you can see enigne rpm and stuff, theres no reading whilst cranking.

any ideas, how to continue trouble shooting or what to try next?