BMW ICOM NEXT | BMW NBT EVO FSC Codes | BMW NBT & CIC FSC Codes | BMW Rheingold , ISTA/P, KSD, ETK remote installation | BMW STANDARD TOOLS remote installation | BMW ESYS remote installation
Go Back   BMW forum. Diagnostics, coding, programming, repair BMW vehicles. > BMWelcome > BMW diagnostics and repair

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By hrvoje-vk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2016, 08:02 PM

Car: BMW E90 318d
Exclamation E90 clogged DPF - my case and solution

Greetings everyone,

I'm new on forum and registered here because I was having problems with clogged DPF (BMW 318d, 2006). I successfully managed to resolve problem and wish to share with you guys/girls, maybe this info will be helpful for someone. So, let's start:

Has I said, my car is 318d 2006, never had problems with DPF regeneration, has a matter of fact I never know nothing about regeneration until famous DPF sign popped up on dashboard. I drove the car to local mechanics workshop and they pretty scared my... They said that clogged DPF can make some serious damage to the turbo and engine (its truth) and they recommend cutting off DPF and reprogram the ECU. I don’t like someone to make modifications on BMW’s genuine ECU but if had no other choice… Two local workshops immediately recommend cutting of DPF. The DPF warning light popped up EXACTLY after 9 minutes of driving. Turning the car off and wait for few minutes temporary clears the error (but it stays in ECU) and again after EXACTLY 9mnts of driving DPF pops up. I did not want to give up without a fight for regen. Cutting of and reprograming was my last option. First I took the car for a long drive as my mechanic suggested to me (with DPF error cleared on ecu) on highway, driving around 4-4.5k rpms for about an hour. No success, DPF light popped up again after 9mnts of driving (even error cleared). So, I make some research on net, also here on forum and realized that regen requires some conditions to be met (e.g. more than ˝ fuel in tank, engine temp, high revs, long drive…). I unlocked the dashboard hidden menu (why on earth BMW didn’t installed an engine temp gauge???) and put it on menu nr.7 – engine current temp display. When driving on local roads (cabin heat on, outside temp about 3 degrees Celsius) was 45-55 °C, on highway on 4.5k rpm temp was 60 °C. Obviously thermostat failure. I changed engine main thermostat (about 100$) and the EGR thermostat (about 50$). The car temp was now fine 88-90 °C , also mpg was a little lower. I did not have acces to diagnostic (BOSCH KTS) at the moment so I was not able to clear DPF error. I started the car knowing that I have only 9mnts before error pops up and the little triangle shows by the distance meter. I push the pedal to the carpet (monitoring engine temp) and when it came to 90 °C turned off the car (it give me extra 9mnts before DPF light shows) and drove the car on highway as recommend (full tank, engine temp ok, no error). Soon engine temp raised 91,92,93,94,95,96 stay there some time and then slow falls on 88-90. I drove it about 30mnts and DPF warning light did not popped up. The regen was successful! Later I confirmed it on BMW DIS. So, in my case leaking thermostats did not give a car engine to heat on working temp and that blocked the DPF regen procedure.

I hope that someone can find this problem helpful. As I came from Croatia, sorry on my poor English language…
focus87 likes this.