BMW ICOM NEXT | BMW NBT EVO FSC Codes | BMW NBT & CIC FSC Codes | BMW Rheingold , ISTA/P, KSD, ETK remote installation | BMW STANDARD TOOLS remote installation | BMW ESYS remote installation
Go Back   BMW forum. Diagnostics, coding, programming, repair BMW vehicles. > BMWelcome > BMW diagnostics and repair

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2017, 05:30 PM

Car: F45
Default F45 PHEV Repair (225EX)

Hi guys,

Been toying with the idea of repairing a 225EX Cat D that's been floating around on the Salvage auctions recently, now I've repaired a few light frontals in my time and I am a qualified electrician/electronic engineer so electrics hold no fear but I'm worried I may be biting off more than I can chew... so if anyone has their tuppence to throw in about the following please do...

Do BMW get funny about selling spares for their hybrids?

Presumably it's the crash ECU that disconnects the high voltage system in event of an accident? I'm concerned that resetting may not be as simple as an airbag reset?

Anything else I might not have thought of? I realise this won't be a subject that many people will have experience of but you never know unless you ask.

Regards.

Old 08-04-2017, 07:04 AM

Car: E91, E36/C, E36/7

Hello Oggi,
be prepared to exchange the airbag-ECU. Igniting the airbag circuits creates a heavy loqd on the circuitry. Then, you will need to exchange the positive 16mm2 to 36mm2 lines. The safety disconnection damages the contacts and it is not reusable. That is going to be quite a bit of mechanical work.
Take also a look at the standard 12V battery positive lines, seat belt tensioners and belts, etc. since they might all have been released as well. Costwise quite a few parts...
Diego

Gesendet von meinem E6653 mit Tapatalk
Old 08-08-2017, 05:30 PM

Car: F45

Hi Diego,

Thanks for the reply, I had reckoned on replacing the Airbag ECU plus the airbags and pre-tensioners.
Interesting about the 16mm and 32mm cables, when you say about the disconnection, whereabouts does this actually take place, in the battery unit itself or in another area? Also, is it the Airbag ECU that activates disconnection or is that within the disconnection device itself?.

Have you worked on one yourself?

Best Regards.