BMW ICOM NEXT | BMW NBT EVO FSC Codes | BMW NBT & CIC FSC Codes | BMW Rheingold , ISTA/P, KSD, ETK remote installation | BMW STANDARD TOOLS remote installation | BMW ESYS remote installation
Go Back   BMW forum. Diagnostics, coding, programming, repair BMW vehicles. > BMWelcome > BMW diagnostics and repair

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2012, 06:24 AM

Car: 2000 328i
Default Horn and Cruise Control Not Working

Hello everyone! I tried searching for a threadon the issue, but didn't find anything that really fit my situation. Hopefully you all can shed some light on it for me.

I just bought my son a 2000 328i, and the horn and cruise control don't work. I assume it has something to do with the previous owner replacing the stock stereo head unit with an aftermarket unit, but am not sure what needs to be done to resolve it. (Of course the wheel mounted stereo controls don't work either.)

Is there a wire that needs to be reconnected to power the steering wheel controls?

Thanks for any help!

Old 07-05-2012, 01:57 AM

Car: BMW

I don't think this will be easy to fix... Nobody knows what wires were cut or spliced.
These BMW have many modules (computers) running on different networks (call buses)

Sometimes the radio is the hub or gateway that connects different networks. I think the I-Bus or K-Bus has been cut, as the steering wheel buttons don't work. Maybe the CAN bus has been cut so the cruse control module doesn't know the vehicle speed.

Wiring diagrams can be found here: [Only for registered users... ]

If you don't have a background in reading wiring diagrams, this won't be easy.

Good Luck!
Old 07-05-2012, 02:50 AM

Car: 2000 328i

Yay - this should be fun...
I guess I'll just pull the stereo and compare the new harness to the factory unit and see what wires aren't connected, and then put a tester on them to see if any are trying to send a signal.
Thanks for the diagrams!
Old 08-24-2012, 04:52 PM

Car: '00 328Ci, '99 M coupe

Check the slip ring wiring inside the steering wheel hub. All of the button connections (and I think the horn) go through it. On my '00 328Ci two of the flex circuits failed due to age and the airbag went dead. See [Only for registered users... ]
Old 08-26-2012, 03:01 AM

Car: 318i

It's depend on what head unit do you have,if it's a BMW head unit then you should check as Turnschuh said, other brand head unit it doesn't work.
For the horn and cruise control you also need to check the ignition switch.