BMW ICOM NEXT | BMW NBT EVO FSC Codes | BMW NBT & CIC FSC Codes | BMW Rheingold , ISTA/P, KSD, ETK remote installation | BMW STANDARD TOOLS remote installation | BMW ESYS remote installation
Go Back   BMW forum. Diagnostics, coding, programming, repair BMW vehicles. > BMWelcome > BMW diagnostics and repair

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2012, 08:30 AM
Banned

Car: e46
Default I cracked my Valve Cover while changing my VCG. What Now?

I finally got round to doing my big VCG + Vanos Seals + Spark plugs + Winter tyres job.

Everything went well right up to the point where I reinstalled the Valve Cover. I made the mistake of tightening one bolt all the way before I'd fitted all the others. The pressure difference between the boltholes caused the VC to crack right thru the hole nearest the C5 intake.

I was gently cranking it with my torque wrench waiting for the pop and instead I get this CRACK and saw a tiny hairline fracture appear next to the bolt I was torquing. It was very unnerving, let me tell you.

The crack itself is very thin and extends maybe an inch in towards the center of the cover. I put a very small amount of Red RTV on the inside of the cover in the hope that it would temporarily seal it to allow me to come up with a more permanent fix.

Interestingly, I drove the car for a few blocks and everything seems to work OK. I was expecting to see some CELs or error codes (do these display on the dash or do I need a special widget to read them?), but the car started and drove beautifully.

Is there anything I can do to fix it? I'd imagine it's a case of buying a whole new valve cover. Anyone know how much they go for? Maybe I'll wait a while and see if any of the sensors notice there's a leak in the valve cover...

Anyone else have this problem? I'd love to hear what you did about it

Cheers

Old 12-01-2012, 06:04 AM

Car: M3

Well I have seen a couple of valve covers cracked during repairs 2 main issues oil leak or air leak. If its on the intake side I don't think oil leak will be too much of a concern, now air leak is possible a hairline crack may not be a large enough air leak to cause a warning light to come on, your car will compensate with a little extra fuel, I have seen people use rev,tape, gum, you name it but it is really hard to stay on due to the engine temp, vibration ect. What I have done is used a soldering iron and melted the plastic surrounding the hairline crack it will cause the plastic to melt and seal the crack. Just be very carefull don't go all the way through
Old 12-08-2012, 06:22 AM

Car: 320i, X3 xdrive35i

use epoxy it will hold
Old 02-04-2013, 09:35 AM

Car: BMW

Hi,
I donít do anything by myself. Instead I prefer to take my car to the repairing shop. Those people do what has to do in such cases and repair my car.