BMW ICOM NEXT | BMW NBT EVO FSC Codes | BMW NBT & CIC FSC Codes | BMW Rheingold , ISTA/P, KSD, ETK remote installation | BMW STANDARD TOOLS remote installation | BMW ESYS remote installation
Go Back   BMW forum. Diagnostics, coding, programming, repair BMW vehicles. > BMWelcome > BMW diagnostics and repair

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2014, 04:31 PM

Car: 2007 650i Convertible
Default New to me - '07 650i - Nav and Bluetooth issues...

We purchased a 2007 650i Convertible a couple of weeks ago as a third "fun" vehicle, our first BMW. When we purchased the car, the nav system was showing the "insert navigation DVD" error. The dealer said it was a bad DVD so they ordered a new one for us. Also, during delivery, the dealer wasn't able to get my iPhone to pair properly....would drop the connection randomly and often. They suggested that this was a software issue on the I-drive and said there would be an update released shortly to fix this.

I picked up the new nav DVD, took it home and inserted into the drive. Nav started up as it should. Over the weekend, my wife and I took the car out for a drive. Within 20 mins, the nav system locked up and again showed the "insert navigation DVD" error. This time, it wouldn't even let me eject the DVD. After a few minutes (while driving), the I-drive completely rebooted itself. At that point, I was able to remove the DVD but the system still wouldn't read the disc.

After a bit if experimenting, it seems that the only time the navigation system will read the DVD is after the battery is fully charged using the battery tender charger I use to trickle charge while the vehicle is parked in my garage. Basically, if I leave the charger on it over night, it works fine for the first ten or fifteen minutes after it's started in the morning. Then, apparently, once the battery has discharged a bit from the car running, accessories operating, etc., the DVD read error comes up again.

Does this make any sense to anyone? Could this be related to the Bluetooth issue as well? Again, my first BMW. I'm a pretty mechanical person, have built many a classic car in my day, but this whole technology thing throws me for a bit of a loop.

I'm still trying to get a straight answer from the dealer (a reputable local BMW dealer) but we keep playing phone tag. I really want to LOVE this car but I'm starting to wonder what I'm in store for...

Old 01-22-2014, 08:58 PM

Car: 02 BMW 745i and 07 BMW X5

Many of the the navigation drives go faulty from heat over time or water damage due to its location in the car. What I would do is find another unit (doesn't have to be the exact same part number but from the same generation of car) and try your DVD map with that and see if the problems go away. It is not hard to replace the unit. As for the bluetooth issue, did you have an update to the module's software to the latest versions yet?