BMW ICOM NEXT | BMW NBT EVO FSC Codes | BMW NBT & CIC FSC Codes | BMW Rheingold , ISTA/P, KSD, ETK remote installation | BMW STANDARD TOOLS remote installation | BMW ESYS remote installation
Go Back   BMW forum. Diagnostics, coding, programming, repair BMW vehicles. > BMWelcome > BMW coding and programming > BMW GT1, OPS/OPPS, INPA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2011, 04:27 PM

Car: 90 735il, 97 740il
Default INPA Q's

Hello all, I have errors Im looking at with INPA and want to know what they mean and how I can fix, in INPA shift F5, e38 model and under transmission, there are options to activate, solenoid valves, and others, when it says pin unknown what is going on, or in the "others" section what are L5 L6 L7 they are unknown on my test, basicaly I have swaped valvebodies on the transmission, and after reseting the error codes I have the same exact problem, solenoid shift valves 4 and 5 are unknown, won't activate, and L5-L7 are unknown as well and keeping me in a transmission fail safe....I was hoping someone could tell me what excatly is happening and where I sould look to fix my prob, I am thinking I have a wiring or control unit issue since both valvebodies have the same problem? right now I don't have faith a brand new transmission would fix the problem.

Old 10-15-2011, 02:27 PM

ok I have an idea whats up, just tell me if you think its right, inpa is corectly operating valves 1, 2, 3...(I used a power supply and by hand probed them they clicked for me too) and pin not found for 4, 5...of course, there are only 3 MV shift solenoids, so the software shows no pin found on 4, 5. And on the L5-L7 well maybey thats something else thats not on my car, just general software, so you gotta know what you have and just test that??
Old 10-17-2011, 02:11 PM

Car: 1999 e38 740i
Default Have similar issue

hi, also new to forum. Have similar issue. Believe what you are referring to is issue with Pressure Actuators - 5 valves that vary and control shift pattern movement etc. known as EDS 1-5 and EGS not responding to them

I have 1999 740 e38. Swapped out full 5HP24 transmission for what should have been same box but it is a late 1998 box and being BMW although almost identical there was a BMW part number difference. Now can't get out of failsafe mode and INPA is recording Error 15 - pressure actuator. Basically I think I can activate all three solenoids and EDS1 but fail to connect with EDS 2-5.

Found post on other BMW forum site that a similar problem was found to be down to mismatch of replacement transmission part number with EGS and that EGS did not fully recognise it and would not accept it. Apparently his problem was fixed by recoding part number so EGS would accept it.

Can't find out if that is true or how to check it out and change the part number. Like you hoping someone will help.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:01 PM

yea, thanks for the reply, if you find out something let me know, so your saying you think the L5-L7 are the eds solenoids? as far as the part # I wouldn't think it would matter as far as the EGS is concerned since there are no electronic modules inside the transmission besids the solenoids, two speed sensors, and the temp sensor, thats what I'm thinking....looking at the two valvebodys anyway, mine is a 97, and the donar trans I have is a 2000. everything looks the same, except one eds solenoid has an extra wire that goes to the harness, I simply used my origional 97 harness, the solenoids act totaly the same.