BMW ICOM NEXT | BMW NBT EVO FSC Codes | BMW NBT & CIC FSC Codes | BMW Rheingold , ISTA/P, KSD, ETK remote installation | BMW STANDARD TOOLS remote installation | BMW ESYS remote installation
Go Back   BMW forum. Diagnostics, coding, programming, repair BMW vehicles. > BMWelcome > BMW coding and programming > BMW ISIS, ICOM A+B+C, Esys

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2014, 09:33 PM

Car: E63
Default A few pre-purchase ICOM questions

Hi Guys

I have been using a emulator with dongle and vmware and am now looking to buy an A2 now that the price has stabilized.

Should I buy the original icom unit or is an A2 a sensible move, given availability?

DO I still need the usb dongle, or will the vmware machine I have now speak to the icom box directly over the network (assuming vmnet is configured correctly, obviously)?

Should I buy software with the interface or will I be ok with what I have?

My intentions is to retain vmware rather than go native, unless of course if the right laptop appears at the right price!

Thanks in advance for the advice.

David

Last edited by BestGear; 01-10-2014 at 09:39 PM.

Old 01-11-2014, 07:23 PM

Car: E90

dongle vm ware is stupid.

Depending on which vm ware you have, it should be able to detect the ICOM through the ip address network.
Old 01-14-2014, 05:25 PM

Car: 03 x5,06 530xit,87 325is race car

There are problems with chinese ICOM A2 heads.They just use the same dsign as ICOM A,but without fan.Original ones have different means of cooling,but clones have none.
My ICOM A works fine now for almost 2 years.I just glued the hing and use extension cable to connect it.Sometimes it doesnt work 100% correct with the extension cable,but I can live with that.
The Following User Says Thank You to bawareca For This Useful Post:
BestGear (01-15-2014)
Old 01-15-2014, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawareca View Post
There are problems with chinese ICOM A2 heads.They just use the same dsign as ICOM A,but without fan.Original ones have different means of cooling,but clones have none.

Thanks...

So perhaps I should just get the original clone version....

I just considered the A2 given that later versions are usually better.. but if you are saying clones A2 are the same inside as A1, then its not really an A2 clone...as I thought that the a2 had better processor too.

I will go and see if I can find any photos of the insides and see!

The other think I noticed is that most A2 clones dont have wireless - do we know if you can add a mini-pci or whatever wireless card inside it?

David
Old 01-15-2014, 03:42 PM

Car: 03 x5,06 530xit,87 325is race car

I believe there are a few out there that are real A2 clones,not sure though.And you cant find pictures of what's inside the chinese stuff,ever.And if you find pictures somehow,there is no guarantee that you will receive the same thing.The problem is that most sellers are just resellers and the stuff is shipped form the factories.They send out whatever they have in stock.I heard that some people have successfully implemented WIFI on SOME of the A2 clones.
Old 01-16-2014, 01:40 PM

Thanks...bit of a gamble all around then!

Thanks for the A2 heads-up - found a few references and PCB pictures after I went looking and as you say, many a2 are the old boards in new box... without fan and no added heatsink!

Wireless seems to be omitted from most A2.... and have seen some fitted DIY... not sure I would use wifi other than for quick diags.

D