BMW ICOM NEXT | BMW NBT EVO FSC Codes | BMW NBT & CIC FSC Codes | BMW Rheingold , ISTA/P, KSD, ETK remote installation | BMW STANDARD TOOLS remote installation | BMW ESYS remote installation
Go Back   BMW forum. Diagnostics, coding, programming, repair BMW vehicles. > BMWelcome > BMW coding and programming > BMW ISIS, ICOM A+B+C, Esys

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2013, 09:03 AM

Car: e46 300d touring
Default First run of ISTA-P generates loads of coding -- why?

I was wondering if anyone on this forum could advise me on the issue below. I have used the BMW ICOM interface today for the first time with the ISTA-P software to code the car. the first time I have run it it displayed a load of coding measures that need to be executed, and loads of modules came up in amber. It also found 2 modules that it was struggling to communicate with that it has flagged in red, and it wants to replace them. If I execute measures it will do loads of coding, that I am not sure what it is doing and why. Does anyone know why it would do this?
I am worried that if I run it then it will break the car.

Old 08-21-2013, 07:39 PM

Car: 325i

It reads out all modules, compares software and/or coding, and if it determines anything is out of date it will automatically add it to the "measures plan".

This forces the entire vehicle to have the same 'level' of software. Ie, DME is v56(made up number) and the EGS is v40... ISTA/P essentially will not allow this.

By the way, those replace measures would seem to indicate you have a MOST bus issue... I bet the TCU has failed.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:06 PM

Thank you for your reply. This is very helpful indeed. I have never had a model with the MOST system, so I have no experience of it. I think you are right something in the MOST system has failed, and the car will not connect to the ICOM unit I have. I can diagnose, but not programme.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:34 PM

As it turns out, I think the Telematics control unit might have failed because 2 of the media related items say they need replacing as you note, and they both work fine, so BMW are going to change the TCU under warranty. I am also unable to programme the car at all, as it says it is not connected to the MOST port. BMW agree with me that it is likely the TCU or some other connecting problem.
What infuriates me is that around 1 month ago they were meant to have upgraded the security software. I don't think they could have done it because the ICOM won't connect to the MOST Bus, and all these amber items would indicate that quite a bit of the software is out of date. I don't think ISTA/P allows you to remove these measures to only execute a single one that I can figure out. I think the dealer must have been drinking tea whilst I was waiting for the security update to be done.

Thanks for your input, it has been very valuable. I know about most things on cars, as I have worked on cars since I was 10 years old, and in the last 5 years I have learned about programming them, but this is the first car with an optical Bus.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:18 PM

Car: e91

Quote:
Originally Posted by elinachris View Post
As it turns out, I think the Telematics control unit might have failed because 2 of the media related items say they need replacing as you note, and they both work fine, so BMW are going to change the TCU under warranty. I am also unable to programme the car at all, as it says it is not connected to the MOST port. BMW agree with me that it is likely the TCU or some other connecting problem.
What infuriates me is that around 1 month ago they were meant to have upgraded the security software. I don't think they could have done it because the ICOM won't connect to the MOST Bus, and all these amber items would indicate that quite a bit of the software is out of date. I don't think ISTA/P allows you to remove these measures to only execute a single one that I can figure out. I think the dealer must have been drinking tea whilst I was waiting for the security update to be done.

Thanks for your input, it has been very valuable. I know about most things on cars, as I have worked on cars since I was 10 years old, and in the last 5 years I have learned about programming them, but this is the first car with an optical Bus.
Hi, I thought I wrote similar to this yesterday, so sorry if it's a double post..

If you disconnect the telematic fibre cable(most).
Then you can use your most loop ring(connected to your diagnostic port most) and connect this to your telematic cable.
Then the most ring is complete, and you can program the rest of your car.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:36 AM

That's a really neat trick. I will do that, thanks.

Chris