BMW ICOM NEXT | BMW NBT EVO FSC Codes | BMW NBT & CIC FSC Codes | BMW Rheingold , ISTA/P, KSD, ETK remote installation | BMW STANDARD TOOLS remote installation | BMW ESYS remote installation
Go Back   BMW forum. Diagnostics, coding, programming, repair BMW vehicles. > BMWelcome > DIY guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2012, 09:02 AM
Banned

Car: e46
Default Brand New key wont work?

SO long story short i stuffed my old key trying to replace the battery for the 3rd time. Anyway i ordered a new key from stealership and $670 later i get it, they try to program it and say that my car isnt recognising it. Now they want me to book it in again at $220 per hour to find out why its not working.

Before i do that i thought i would check to see if anyone knows 1. why this is happening????? and 2. how i can fix it?????

Old 10-24-2012, 12:27 AM

Car: BMW 540i

For an E46? Try and find an auto locksmith who will be able to make you a new key, or fit a chip into the new key to get it working.
It might be that someone already has made a spare key using the slot that BMW used.

Don't throw away your old keys as they might be able to be fixed or used for parts.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheEnd For This Useful Post:
ggemen (10-29-2012)
Old 10-29-2012, 07:51 AM
Banned

Car: e46

thanks
Old 11-04-2012, 06:31 AM

Car: M3

I work at a dealership and I have seen new keys ordered from factory to not work. I just recently had 1 on an e46. I had to order another key and the new one worked. Unfortunately you do have to agree to the diag fee but if its found the key you bought was the issue they cannot charge you for diagnosis because it becomes a warranty repair. I'm assuming you are talking about it not starting your car, and not the remote control functions because these are 2 different issues.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:36 PM

Car: bmw

when You order key thru official dealer this part is have waranty , and key from factory com code according VIN . Make an waranty question in company which You bye this key . You pay for that and You have a right for that. Pleasse answer the mechanikal key open door from Your car or not . Iff open mechanical code for car is ok , iff not open then You have wrong code for key and You must find help in nearest BMW servis or service with BMW tools . I whill help You but you are in USA I am in Europa.
Old 12-24-2012, 02:42 AM

Car: Mitsubishi

Did your key worked now? You should have went back to your dealership and order new set of keys and tell them that it doesn't work. I've known a site which is really expert when it comes to [Only for registered users... ]. You can visit it if you have time. Cases like yours will be solved right away.