BMW ICOM NEXT | BMW NBT EVO FSC Codes | BMW NBT & CIC FSC Codes | BMW Rheingold , ISTA/P, KSD, ETK remote installation | BMW STANDARD TOOLS remote installation | BMW ESYS remote installation
Go Back   BMW forum. Diagnostics, coding, programming, repair BMW vehicles. > Main Category > New Members Area

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2011, 02:02 AM

Car: e39 540it 6-speed
Default coding e39 for a 6speed trans swap

im working on my 99 540it and ive done the mechanical aspect of the swap but im having problems with the electrical side of it. i installed the wiring harness from the donar car for the trans and removed my egs. i tried to change the zcs in the ike and the ews with no luck with progman. ive heard about ediabas and ncs but have been unable to find a download for them that i can get to work as described on the forums ive read. i ordered a cable off ebay for the software and its in the mail now.i need some assistance getting this ball rolling any assistance is greatly appreciated!

Old 08-18-2011, 05:54 PM

Car: BMW

Download the NCSExpert is not a problem. May be I can help you with coding.
What help do you need?
Old 08-18-2011, 10:31 PM

sorry for the slow response i wrench by day. but thats what i thought, until i tried to download inpa 5.02 and i was unable to load it up. since then ive deleted that file and im currently looking for a working version.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:55 PM

Full version and guide is there [Only for registered users... ] ;)
Old 08-18-2011, 11:18 PM

i tried that one several times with no success. i (enter digits and click "Скачать").
and it takes to another screen not like the one described by tyler. since i cant translate the next page im lost
Old 08-18-2011, 11:22 PM

i found a site called filespart.com that has these 3 files;
Bmw Ediabas Inpa
bmw ediabas inpa.rar
Bmw Ediabas Inpa (verified)
but i dont know which one i need or even the difference between them.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:43 AM

After you enter the digids simple click on link:

This is 100% working version of INPA. If you did not have sucsess let me know.
The Following User Says Thank You to Evgeny For This Useful Post:
swalker (08-20-2011)
Old 08-19-2011, 12:16 PM

Car: E39 & E87

Hello mate.

I'm working on the coding of the same swap (E39 540 auto to manual) for a mate of mine.

I wrote this on another post on here, so i'll just do a bit of copy/paste!

I've never attempted anything like this, but if I were to try and tackle the coding part of of it, this is what I'd do.

Firstly you don't want to swap out any modules unless essential, this will make your life easier!

Some basics. Your car will have something called a ZCS (central coding key) which is broken down into 3 parts. The ZCS contains all the information about the car, including model, transmission type, fuel type, option codes etc. So the first thing I'd be looking to do is modify your current ZCS to make the car think it was born a manual. To do this you need a program called NCSexpert. It's available to download if you google, and a compatible OBD II lead. On and E46 you can use a modified VW lead with good results. Loads for sale on eBay and the like.

Once you have your leas and NCS up and running, you'll need to read the current ZCS, which will be stored (in duplicate) in two modules. I'm an e39/e87 man so don't know which modules store it on an E46, I'll find out.

Your ZCS will be a set of 3 hexadecimal numbers with a check digit at the end of each line, so ignore the last digit!

It will take format of

C1
C2
C3

With a selection of numbers and letters after each one.

Once you've read that out, post it here and I'll modify it to suit the manual conversion. It's easier than trying to explain how to modify it yourself!

Then you need to code the modified ZCS to the two modules that hold it, then code the car to update all the other modules.

Next you will need to wire in the clutch switch to the DME (engine ECU) then recode the DME (after disconnecting the tranny ECU) with manual software. To do this, you'll need software called DIS (diagnostic information system).

Once your DME is flashed, I'd suspect you'd need to recode the abs/dsc ECU and instrument cluster also.

That's what I'd be looking to do if it were me mate. I'll do some more digging and post back.
The Following User Says Thank You to rob-the-viking For This Useful Post:
swalker (08-29-2011)
Old 08-20-2011, 12:25 AM

thx evgeny that was what i needed and the download is almost done now. and thank you rob i appreciate the breakdown.the cable i ordered only has a obd2 connector. since my car is a 12/98 build it has the under the hood connector as well. so will i need an adaptor cable or is it not necessary? i saw a couple on ebay for approx $15.

Last edited by swalker; 08-20-2011 at 12:35 AM. Reason: wrong spelling of name and incorrect punctuation
Old 08-20-2011, 07:04 AM

swalker, yes you'll need the round connector. Because in OBD connector you'll find only DME & EGS (automatic gearbox) signals. You can also connect to round connector by wires, but it's not reliably.
The Following User Says Thank You to Evgeny For This Useful Post:
swalker (08-22-2011)