BMW ICOM NEXT | BMW NBT EVO FSC Codes | BMW NBT & CIC FSC Codes | BMW Rheingold , ISTA/P, KSD, ETK remote installation | BMW STANDARD TOOLS remote installation | BMW ESYS remote installation
Go Back   BMW forum. Diagnostics, coding, programming, repair BMW vehicles. > Main Category > New Members Area

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2018, 01:51 PM

Car: E83
Default newby E83 pulling in to the service bay...

I bought my 2008 E83 X3 new and currently have 116k miles on it. I just now replaced the original brakes and rotors - pretty good mileage on em if I do say so. I've been driving about 60 years and had a lot of cars over that time- the X3 has been one of the best cars I've had, so i'm probably going to keep it.

I took it into the dealer a couple months ago for a recall item, and they said to look for mice chewed wires as they couldn't communicate with the computer - or I could pay them $175/hr to look into it.... so here I yam.

I've had a few nit-noid problems I've been ignoring the last 4-5 years...
1. The radio doesn't come on anymore (it had randomly stopped/started a few times in the past- last time for good).
2. The dreaded trio of dash lights (4x4, Brake, CEL) have been on for about 4 years without any driving issues I can determine. I replaced the plastic gear in the transfer servo motor but the orig wasn't worn and the light still didn't go off. I still get 25mpg and a smooth ride so I dunno what to look at next.
3. The air bag failure light is on.
4. The oil indicator used to go [........] up but now just shows [] then OK (I really want a dip stick in times like this)

I have caught a few mice in traps under the hood but so far only see one wire that looks to have been chewed (it looks like it has a white tube or sheath instead of actual bare wire and it is way down there-looking thru the manifold - comes from the back and underneath and then it disappears up to a unit I can feel under the left (driver) side)- might have to take the bottom shield off to see it.)

Since it was out of warranty I've done the small maintenance items like oil and filter changes but now I'm looking to get a code reader and find out whatever I can on how to work on and fix this car in depth. (and also my SL500 I have so I can sell it)

Last edited by DesertRunner; 05-11-2018 at 02:06 PM.